120 Mixed Reef Build (Stand and Sump Included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menotakoala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've finally gotten around to getting my larger setup going. It's a long process having to buy one equipment at a time. Not the cheapest I admit. But I know this investment will be well worth it.

Stand Bottom Frame

Stand Top Frame

DIY Sump Top Down View

DIY Sump and Plumbing View

You'll notice on the right of the sump I have marked the low and high water points. High mark is the most amount of water that will be in the sump in the event of a power outage or pump failure. Also gives me a reference point when to stop filling the tank with water. This was all done while I did a leak test. Unfortunately, I did have a leak in the plumbing. Found out that the gate valve on the return line had a hairline fracture. That's now been replaced and glad to report no leaks.

Overflow

More updates to come soon including a canopy build and continual update. I've still got some more equipment I need to purchase such as lighting and top off system. And still need to get sand and rocks.

WOW! Now that's awesome! Really love the DIY stand, looks professionally done pretty much. Love seeing people do DIY things in general...now I just need to practice that skill! :lol: Very well done and thought out.

WOW! Now that's awesome! Really love the DIY stand, looks professionally done pretty much. Love seeing people do DIY things in general...now I just need to practice that skill! :lol: Very well done and thought out.

Thanks obscurereef. Building a stand for something larger than I have before was quite interesting.

Some more stuff

So I went to Reef-A-Palooza today and bought some more stuff.

Two AI Vegas, a New Controller, and an EcoTech MP40.

Also bought 110 pounds of dry rock (not pictured here).

How was Reef-a-Palooza? I was thinking about going, but didn't have time. I heard it's mostly trading. Why'd you buy a vortech there instead of online? Just more convenient?

RAP was alright. But yes, you heard correctly. It was mostly trading. Not so much dry goods being sold there. I was about to buy the Vortech online, but the sale price was one I could not resist. Same for the AI Vegas as well. Plus, no tax. Can't beat that! :dance:

Got the sand and rocks in. 90 lbs. of sand and just shy of 140 lbs. of rock. All dry. Nothing live.

Updates...

Got the water in and have the two clowns sitting in my one and only quarantine tank before they get moved to the DT. I think I'm gonna have to set up a quarantine station with maybe 2 or 3 tanks nearby my DT. Anyways... It's now day 10 of 30 in quarantine and so far so good. No signs of ich or velvet. Lights are up and running on the DT, auto top-off system (Tunze Osmolator) is in place down in the sump, Carbon and GFO reactor will be going in soon, canopy has been built and put in place, and the stand and canopy now has a new semi-gloss black finish to it instead of the stained wood. It's been a fun build. I'll share more pics as more friends or equipment get added into the DT and sump. Until then... Please enjoy the pics below. :thanks:

dsc6422.jpg

dsc6421.jpg

dsc6425.jpg

dsc6415mr.jpg

dsc6401nc.jpg

Cute clowns! And I agree that your tank looks great! You really did a great job with the rock work. :) Keep us posted on the progress.

Cute clowns! And I agree that your tank looks great! You really did a great job with the rock work. :) Keep us posted on the progress.

Thank you! And the clowns appear to be pairing up already in the quarantine tank. I've got the smaller of the two staring to show signs of submission. Maybe I'll have a chance at some baby clowns down the road.

Thank you! And the clowns appear to be pairing up already in the quarantine tank. I've got the smaller of the two staring to show signs of submission. Maybe I'll have a chance at some baby clowns down the road.

I wouldn't count your eggs before they're hatched. (Pun intended) :) Clowns can pair up and still never make eggs. It's whatever nature wants. :)

I wouldn't count your eggs before they're hatched. (Pun intended) :) Clowns can pair up and still never make eggs. It's whatever nature wants. :)

Good one Beengirl. :lol: Yeah. I'm not counting the eggs just yet. We'll see what happens down the road.

So it's been a while now. I've decided that I need to upgrade my sump. I've got the preliminary drawing completed. This will be an all acrylic sump build. Knowing me though, this is going to take some time to complete. I'm attaching a blueprint of what I have in mind. I'll be sure to keep you posted. And I just took pictures of my tank recently with some fish and coral in the tank. I'll have those uploaded soon as well.
sump20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom