Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
120 Upgrade Questions

Hey everyone!

After having my 30 gallon for about a year now, I have finally aquired a new 120 gallon after buying my new house.

The 120 gallon sits on an old solid oak dresser that we have modified to house the tank on top and all the goodies (sump fuge skimmer etc) where the drawers use to be.

Im working on the plumbing and flow calculation. I ordered a Mag 9.5 pump that will be placed outside of my sump for flow back into the tank. Since i cannot drill the tank i will be ordering a CPR Over flow package for the top. However im not quite sure which one i need to get. Thus my question

The thank is 48 x 24 x 24 the sump is a 30 gallon and sits about a foot underneath the tank. it will be plumbed straight up and split into two loc line hoses. The GPH that the calculator told me was around 548 gph or so. Does this sound right. If so do i get the CPR Overflow rated for 600 gph then?

Thanks in advance. I will also be started a build thread once i get some pictures and my equipment. Im pretty excited. I know you are all too.

Kevin

Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
You can drill the tank, the bottom is tempered, but the back wall typically isn't. I had my 120 drilled when I bought it ( 2 x 1.5" bulkheads). I don't know many manufacturers that have all tempered glass, esp. when getting into the larger tanks.

Right now, my return pump is 660GPH @ head = 5'. It is always better to go overboard on a return then end up with soggy feet.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Interesting. I didnt know that if it said it there then that didnt mean the whole thing isnt tempered.

Anyone know a good thread on drilling a tank and the next steps? Thatd be great.

In the mean time anyone have any other input on CPR vs Lifereef etc?????
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much head height will you have from the bottom of the sump to return? There are usually charts that show head loss (flow lost from the motor by pushing water up the line).. Take that number and to be safe, you want your overflow to have a rating at least 10% higher.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

See ccapt's thread on his new 125 for pics of tank drilling.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the thread link.

Now I have to figure out what I want to do. I think I may just buy the overflows for now and think about drilling my tank as time goes on.

I did the head loss calcs and the pump is about 3.5 feet from the return. Ends up being around 598 gph for the return.

If i get two overflow boxes, I was told this was better than one, and I have 1200 gph or something maybe custom done, will too much downward flow be that bad? but i can regulate that with a valve right?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just following up, Do not regulate or control the overflows, full tilt all the time.. It will only take what would overflow the tank, if you are under the rated overflow then it will keep up with your pump. If you are over, then the overflow will hit it's limit and the display will overflow.

My pump pushes 660GPH to the display, my overflows are rated at ~ 5000GPH (1.5" x 2) tho I have no intentions on testing that, and I'd have to shorten the standpipes to keep the water level down.

If you are going to drill or have your tank drilled, it's easier to do this before you are set up..

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com