120g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIZZLE808

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it's been like 2-3 years since I got out of the hobby. Since I moved into my new place a little over a year and a half ago I've been planning on getting back into hobby in like another year or two but as fate would have it... one of my neighbors moved out and he gifted me his 120g tank and stand. Needless to say I'm super stoked about it! So long story short.... I'm back and I can't wait to get started!!

My last set up was a 55g FOWLR with a hob skimmer, canister filter and TAO LEDs. With this build I want to have a sump but I have exactly zero experience with them. Having said that I would love any and all input throughout this build.

Words can't express how happy I am to be back in the hobby!20180719_194628.jpg

So it's been like 2-3 years since I got out of the hobby. Since I moved into my new place a little over a year and a half ago I've been planning on getting back into hobby in like another year or two but as fate would have it... one of my neighbors moved out and he gifted me his 120g tank and stand. Needless to say I'm super stoked about it! So long story short.... I'm back and I can't wait to get started!!

My last set up was a 55g FOWLR with a hob skimmer, canister filter and TAO LEDs. With this build I want to have a sump but I have exactly zero experience with them. Having said that I would love any and all input throughout this build.

Words can't express how happy I am to be back in the hobby!View attachment 309713
Man your so lucky to have that given to you. That's about the size I eventually want in my living room.

Do you have any idea what type of fish you qant, or if you will go with plants?

I haven't really thought of what fish I want yet but off the top of my head I'm thinking some clowns, dwarf angels, yellow tang something along those lines, along with a few inverts.

I haven't really thought of what fish I want yet but off the top of my head I'm thinking some clowns, dwarf angels, yellow tang something along those lines, along with a few inverts.
I see. I didn't know you were going with saltwater. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Yeah I'm going it's going to be a fowlr tank. I would love to make it a reef tank but it's illegal where I'm at so fowlr it is

Had it filled with water for the past few days and no leaks. So time to drain it and give it a good scrubbing (I hate this part lol)20180722_162217.jpg

Building sumps is as easy as you want.
Some can have baffles [overflows] or not.
This is a good link with many different models shown.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...gories/sumps&usg=AOvVaw2qTo_BAQ6ILwqnBUpc52FO
Many just make there sump out of aquariums .
Here is my latest build although it is a little more then most people do...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/another-sump-build-363983.html
You need to decide how you are going to get water to sump..
An HOB overflow is easiest without drilling .

Are you thinking of drilling ?

Tempered glass so drilling is out of the question. I'm planning on using hob overflow and i have a basic sketch of my idea for the sump. I'll post it when I get to work and you can tell me what you think.

I made a smaller sump, 20g, but i had mine set up with the first baffle being under/over/under and the second being opposite. This helps ensure a flow of fresh water from top to bottom with a nice circular current in the middle. It can also help keep larger debris contained in the first chamber. Also, it was a fresh water and I don’t know what a fowlr is so take this suggestion for what it’s worth!

Good luck let me know how it’s turns out. Mine was a lot easier then expected so don’t be to worried.

Also, I used glass cut to size I needed but after a while I took those out and used black acrylic to keep out algae growth on the walls. You can buy them in sheets and cut it yourself.

I made a smaller sump, 20g, but i had mine set up with the first baffle being under/over/under and the second being opposite. This helps ensure a flow of fresh water from top to bottom with a nice circular current in the middle. It can also help keep larger debris contained in the first chamber. Also, it was a fresh water and I don’t know what a fowlr is so take this suggestion for what it’s worth!

Good luck let me know how it’s turns out. Mine was a lot easier then expected so don’t be to worried.

Also, I used glass cut to size I needed but after a while I took those out and used black acrylic to keep out algae growth on the walls. You can buy them in sheets and cut it yourself.
I appreciate the feedback. Fowlr = fish only with live rock. I'm still uncertain about the size of tank I'll be using for the sump. I still have to get under the stand and get some measurements, I'll make my decision then.

I'm figuring that I'll go to home depot or something like that for the glass and then cut them to size afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom