120w 55x3w LED Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just ordered it from eBay for $188.61 (Canadian) for my 37 gallon.

What kind of corals would thrive under this lighting?

If you search on eBay "120w 55x3w led" you'll find it

A 37g would be a taller version of a 29g. I think you will be ok with this fixture and can at least grow LPS.

I just bought reefbreeders. Its basically the same unit, except it comes with 2 year warranty (all repairs here in the states) and it has more colors. This advertised light can grow SPS easy, so I'm expecting your light can do the same thing as well.

they look the same as yours however mine have optic lenses

Both units have 120 degree optics. Its the standard primary lens for LED.

That is not true, because the regular are 60 degree and 90 degree.
120 degree lenses will make the fixture a lot less in PAR because it spread the light way too much.

Please make sure don't go nuts and turn on the light to full intensity, other wise you will bleach your coral in less than a day.

I won't, I'm gonna probably keep the fixture running at about 70%, the optics are 90 degrees

This is correct, the LEDs have by default a 120 deg. Lens. It's the clear plastic hemisphere over the chip. Nearly all LEDs have a 120 deg. Lens built in. Some Crees have 60 or 90 as an option. If you want 90deg lenses on your 120 deg led you'd buy a little lens that snaps on to the led.

70% may still be a bit high just keep a super close eye to every coral and every polyp on the coral to make sure it's healthy.

This is correct, the LEDs have by default a 120 deg. Lens. It's the clear plastic hemisphere over the chip. Nearly all LEDs have a 120 deg. Lens built in. Some Crees have 60 or 90 as an option. If you want 90deg lenses on your 120 deg led you'd buy a little lens that snaps on to the led.

It depends on the fixture to be honest, I have talked to many LED manufacturers and all of them provides me 60 degree lenses as default and 120 degree was not an options, even if I ask them. I also don't see why you want to spread the light to 120 degree at the same time for your tank. A LED fixture suppose to work best at 90 degree with about 6 to 8 inches above your tank.

It depends on the fixture to be honest, I have talked to many LED manufacturers and all of them provides me 60 degree lenses as default and 120 degree was not an options, even if I ask them. I also don't see why you want to spread the light to 120 degree at the same time for your tank. A LED fixture suppose to work best at 90 degree with about 6 to 8 inches above your tank.

Here's what I'm talking about. In this first pic of a led , the clear plastic bubble on there is a 120deg. lens

image-2194474139.jpg

If you add another lens like this second pic, that's different, but by default they generally come with 120deg.
This pic is not what I'm talking about, below

image-4061583328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom