Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

120W or 90W LED for 36"X18"X18"

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get my tank up and running and I'm wondering whether you think I should go for 120W LEDs or 90W LEDs? Planning on housing mainly softies/LPS/anemone but also a few SPS.

A see a lot of people recommending 120W but a guy I know that seems to know what he's talking about says to save the money and get the 90w as it will be plenty for an 18" deep tank.

Thoughts please?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you have links for the lights? Would be easier to compare them side by side......If youhave 18" depth and are cinsidering nems then I would think the higher rated ones would be better.

But lets see which ones youre looking at first

Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There you go:

AMDbulbs - Products
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like the 120w. Are you gonna get the cree upgrade? You want a fixture that can grow with your needs and Ithink the 120 would be the best of the two and the cost upgradeisnt that much.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was told the Cree would probably be a waste of money by two people (including the maker of the fixture). He said that at 18" deep it really isn't worth it and the stock bulbs would be plenty to grow whatever I wanted. I think I'll go the 120W to be safe, just hope it's not too much!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm, I've heard the exact opposite about the cree's. LOL But it's your money and tank so if you think it's unnecessary then go for it! let us know when you get it and how it looks. The prices were awesome, too bad I wasnt in AUS. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Carey. Yeah the price is great and a 2 year warranty to back it up (covered in Australia). Can't really go wrong!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can't even get t5's for that price over here. I wish you alot of luck! The warranty is a bonus, at least shows they back up what they sell.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh133 View Post
I was told the Cree would probably be a waste of money by two people (including the maker of the fixture). He said that at 18" deep it really isn't worth it and the stock bulbs would be plenty to grow whatever I wanted. I think I'll go the 120W to be safe, just hope it's not too much!
I'd agree if your going to never upgrade your tank. The nice thing about the cree's is if you decide to go bigger /deeper you can .

Otherwise they look okay to me , as long as you can dim them

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com