120W or 90W LED for 36"X18"X18"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewh133

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I'm starting to get my tank up and running and I'm wondering whether you think I should go for 120W LEDs or 90W LEDs? Planning on housing mainly softies/LPS/anemone but also a few SPS.

A see a lot of people recommending 120W but a guy I know that seems to know what he's talking about says to save the money and get the 90w as it will be plenty for an 18" deep tank.

Thoughts please? :flowers:

Do you have links for the lights? Would be easier to compare them side by side......If youhave 18" depth and are cinsidering nems then I would think the higher rated ones would be better.

But lets see which ones youre looking at first :)

I like the 120w. Are you gonna get the cree upgrade? You want a fixture that can grow with your needs and Ithink the 120 would be the best of the two and the cost upgradeisnt that much. :)

I was told the Cree would probably be a waste of money by two people (including the maker of the fixture). He said that at 18" deep it really isn't worth it and the stock bulbs would be plenty to grow whatever I wanted. I think I'll go the 120W to be safe, just hope it's not too much!

Hmm, I've heard the exact opposite about the cree's. LOL But it's your money and tank so if you think it's unnecessary then go for it! let us know when you get it and how it looks. The prices were awesome, too bad I wasnt in AUS. LOL

Thanks Carey. Yeah the price is great and a 2 year warranty to back it up (covered in Australia). Can't really go wrong!

You can't even get t5's for that price over here. I wish you alot of luck! The warranty is a bonus, at least shows they back up what they sell.

I was told the Cree would probably be a waste of money by two people (including the maker of the fixture). He said that at 18" deep it really isn't worth it and the stock bulbs would be plenty to grow whatever I wanted. I think I'll go the 120W to be safe, just hope it's not too much!

I'd agree if your going to never upgrade your tank. The nice thing about the cree's is if you decide to go bigger /deeper you can .

Otherwise they look okay to me , as long as you can dim them

Back
Top Bottom