125 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im about to plunk down my chips for a 125 gal reef ready.

What cost should I be aiming for, for a good price? What did you guys pay for a similar sized tank?

hmmm....there is such a price swing from one LFS to another where I am it's silly. I've seen 125RR for 499.99 up to 899.99. Of course they weren't all long short tanks some were the 48" versions which I like because of the depth front to back. I can tell you one thing the cost of setting up the 125 is going to be much more then the 29, but you're going to love it! I wish I had a larger tank sometimes and then other times I rather love my 72g bow.

I pd about 650.00 for mine. Stand, tank and no canopy. I pd another 300.00 for a 40 gallon refugium. I used the same VHO setup from my original tank. Plunk them chips down. Click on view my tanks to see my 125.

I got an quote for a all-glass megaflow 125 72x18x22 for $530 which i'd be willing to bet i can talk them down to $500. Thats just the tank though, no stand. From the sounds of it, its not too bad a price.

As far as the stand goes... would it be possible to just buy a wooden stand from the store on the cheap? The reason I ask is because I live literally down the street from an Ikea... the only thing that stops me is the thought of the astronomical amount of weight this things gonna be (almost 3/4 of a ton) and I have my doubts that a regular wooden stand can support that much.

That`s what I was going to ask. You figure water weighs 8.15 lbs per gallon X 125 gallons. Would you want all that on a cheap stand. You need a stand that is made to hold that amount of weight.

the astronomical amount of weight this things gonna be (almost 3/4 of a ton)
SW weighs even more than FW. General rule of thumb is 10 lbs per gallon before LR and sand. Your looking at closer to a half ton +. Definitely buy something made to hold an aquarium, or you can look into DIY stands. Don't forget that your floor has to support all that plus the stand.

Yeah heh i figured bout 1000lb for water, 60-100lb sand (not sure on that) 250lb live rock, maybe 50-100lb for the tank itself, lands right around 1500lbs.

Is there a cheaper solution for buying a stand? Or it is kind of the same deal with the tanks, where its most cost effective to buy from the lfs? I havent even started looking at tank stands... and i'd rather not have a metal one if I could afford it.

edit: just saw MTs post.... wow forgot saltwater weights more! yeah that puts it at more around 1750lbs. Add a 30 gallon sump and its equipment, were looking at 1 ton. At what point do I need to worry about the floor giving way? lol

edit #2... OK after thinking about it... now im actually seriouly worried about that weight. Im in a 2nd floor apartment, I dont think I can just put a 2000 lb thing any ol place.

I would suggest you reconsider going with a 55 or 75g tank if you are in an apartment and even then I would be concerned especially on the second floor. You better talk to your property management company to see if they will even allow the tank at all. Some apartment buildings will not becuse of the weight!

Ill probably still stick with a 125, but ill just have to wait until I leave here. I can always just buy the tank parts now and store them till im ready to use them. It will definetly be a factor in where I live next though.

I recently purchased an AGA 120g full setup, canopy, tank, and stand. I priced it at quite a few LFS'. I paid $475 for the tank itself and another $800 for the stand and canopy. One LFS quoted me $3000 for the same 3 pieces and told me she would give me a good price on the heater and skimmer (big deal). It pays to shop around. I would also suggest looking at the buy/sell section of the different online forum sites such as this. As soon as I received my tank I saw someone selling a 125g for $500 including equipment. Top it off they were only 15 minutes away from me. Search before you buy as you may find a good deal. Good luck.

Thats a good idea to look at the different forums. Ill do that.

As far as the weight thing goes, I gotta find out if this place is made with steel I-beams so im gonna talk to the management and find out. If its steel and not wood then its a go.

ok so I found a pretty nice looking tank, 150 gallons (woohoo!), for $600 on craigslist. Its tank (not drilled), stand, canopy, coral lighting rig (maybe), filters, rocks, gravel and fish.

Im going to look at it on friday. Any suggestions as to things I should peticularly keep in mind/look for?

Also, its been run as a freshwater tank for about 6 years. Is there anything I need to know or be concerned about switching it over?

I wouldn't worry about switching over to SW. My main concern would be if/what meds they used in it. If they used copper, I would think twice.

I asked on the phone if he used copper ever, he said he never did and that over the course of 6 years he had two cichilds sick at seperate times and both were treated outside the tank.

Cool. I would also check the tank for leaks and check out the equipment, make sure there are no leaks. Ask how old the lights are and what kind.

Yeah that was another thing... he said they were flaurescent lamps but they were high output for coral (he said he used em to promote algae growth and made the colors look better on his fish) so would they be 50/50s or something? i really have no idea what id be looking at if he doesnt know.

I know I'll probably have to replace the bulbs reguardless.

You probably are better off buying new bulbs, that way you will know when to replace them, unless he knows how long he's had them and how long he runs them in a day.

wooden beams

i have my 125 on second floor of condo. the centerline of the beams are 16" running parallel to the tank. they are wood. my tank has been set up for two months its doing ok but yet I still am not comfortable. No one could tell me otherwise so i went with it.

Don't go cheap on a stand. I bought a new Oceanic tank and new Oceanic stand. In the big picture of total cost of this hobby, the money I spent on the tank/stand gets lost in the background noise!

What to you think of the floor holding up with wooden beams.

Back
Top Bottom