125 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up my 125 gallon. I plan to build the stand out of oak and for it to about 34-36 inches tall and stain It gunstock. I plan to use a 55 gallon sump( hopefully it fits). I plan to use a reef octopus space saver 150. I'm a bit torn on lighting. I have an ocean revive s026 on my 20 that I like but the bml fixtures are looking pretty good but will be 3x the price. Stocking is still in works and I would appreciate any input on the tank, equiptment, or livestock. Here's a pic of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic of the 20 gallon stand that's going to match the 125 stand I'm making but I plan on using oak this time instead of birchwood.

I'm not a huge fan of my Reef Octopus (SRO 2000 Int). Its too loud. Perhaps you pump will be quieter.

It's either the the reef octopus or the bubble magus curve 7

So I measured the size of holes today on the megaflow and they are 1.75 inch holes for 1 inch bulkheads. I tried a 1 inch bulkhead l had lying around and it fits in all 4 holes. I was under the impression megaflows had 1 hole for a 1 inch bulkhead and one for a 3/4 inch. I'm I missing something here?

Spent around 2 hours looking for lumber that wasn't warped today and another 3 hours building the frame of the stand. I'm overall pretty happy with it. I still need to add all the supports. I was thinking 2 2x6's for the corners and a 2x6 every 24 inches. Do Y'all think that's enough support?

I'm putting 3 2x6's on the front and back. I ran into a problem. Can I use 1x6 as the screw strips to attach the 2x6's onto because the sump is 12.75 inches wide and I only have 12.5 inches of room when using 2x6's for screw strips.

Well I finally finished the frame. Next I have to sand everything out and fill all the holes.

Scored a 55 gallon for 10 bucks and resealed it with rtv 108. Going today to get baffles.

Sumps finished. I need a suggestion for a quiet inexpensive pump that'll give me 400-500 gph at 5 ft of head pressure. I'm thinking a magdrive 9.5

Sorry forgot to post the sump pic. Here it is

If its a 72" 125, try to offset your vertical bracing if you can. That should allow you to get a 55 in and out of the stand. I had to remove bla back vertical brace and slide my 55 into the stand, then put the brace back

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If its a 72" 125, try to offset your vertical bracing if you can. That should allow you to get a 55 in and out of the stand. I had to remove bla back vertical brace and slide my 55 into the stand, then put the brace back

I'm going to finish the stand except for the top, drop the sump in then install the braces and plywood on top.

Oh and do yourself a huge favor and put a sheet of styrofoam under the 55... i kick myself everyday for not doing it

Oh and do yourself a huge favor and put a sheet of styrofoam under the 55... i kick myself everyday for not doing it

What's the Styrofoam for?

Itll isolate and stop any vibration from getting to the stand. Ultimately cutting down on noise

Itll isolate and stop any vibration from getting to the stand. Ultimately cutting down on noise

Got it. I used a yoga mat on my other tank I still have one that I can use.

Back
Top Bottom