125 gallon tank sand or crushed coral ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazycraven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon tank with all the pumps and powerheads and everything to keep it going . I am new with saltwater and i want to do like live coral plants , and obviously fish . What are the pros and cons of using sand or crushed coral ? I think i want sand but is it a bad idea ?

Sand is much better because some coral might not me totally crushed or scratchy and your fish might hurt themselves on it.

I prefer sand , I was on a another site a while ago where someone said this about cc "It's like a toilet bowl you can never flush"

I saw that on a couple of sites too but i didnt know if it was true or not . My father used cc and he had no problems . Do you know if i would have to do anything special to clean it or with water changes ? Sand would look better too .

Most prefer argonite sand because it is a good Ph buffer and the crushed coral will let detris get stuck in it and cause nitrate problems.

Fine aragonite sand. Less than 1 mm in diameter.

Crush coral traps waste and results in more maintenance.

I got 150lbs of Caribsea 'sugar fine' aragonite sand.. Also called oolite sand.. its fine sand with particles .2 to 1mm.. There are lots of choices...

One thing worth noting is that corals aren't plants. They are invertebrate animals. They do have some plant like characteristics though, mainly their need for appropriate lighting.

Most prefer argonite sand because it is a good Ph buffer and the crushed coral will let detris get stuck in it and cause nitrate problems.
+1
i don't like the super fine stuff. i like slightly larger than sugar sized. crushed coral will need to be maintained regularly. finer sand will not.

Back
Top Bottom