125 gallon with stand on 2nd floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am cruising CL for a used tank. I was originally looking for a 75-90 gallon, but I have seen a few offers for 125 gallon tanks that have caught my eye.

I am a bit concerned about the total weight of the tank when filled (1500 pounds plus including stand and equipment, by my estimation).

Does anyone have a 125 gallon on the second story of their home? Or do people keep them on the foundation floor only?

House was build in the 70's, typical Long Island NY split ranch.

Thanks for the feeback!

A 125 will distribute the weight better than a 90, since it is 2 feet longer. As long as you go perpendicular to your floor joists, I doubt you'll have any issues. I'd prefer to keep it close to a load bearing wall though, just to feel better about it.

My 125 in the first floor over a basement against a load bearing wall. No issues in 7 years. Condo is about 10 years old, so similar structural code.

Our tank is on a first floor load bearing wall that has been braced in the basement. However, we also have a house that is over 110 years old. My worry about the second floor wasn't weight, it was water. It wouldn't be any heavier than your average waterbed. But a water leak could destroy a ceiling pretty quickly and I hate drywalling. Lol

Thanks, I feel a lot better about going big when I find the right price :)

Back
Top Bottom