125 stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Go Buffs and Rockies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new member here. I am going to be upgrading from my 38 FOWLR to a 125 mixed community and reef (though I probably wont go too far on corals and focus on the fish instead). No timeline on the upgrade because it will coincide with a move we anticipate in 6-16 months. I currently have a 38 (36" tall variety) with appx. 40 lbs live rock the following stock:

2 Firefish
2 Chromis
1 Sergeant Major Damsel
2 O. Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Angel

I am planning on 130-150 lbs of live rock in the 125 and plan the following stock list.

3 Yellow tangs
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Naso Tang
1 Green Mandarin
1 Spotted Mandarin
5 Chromis (2 migrated)
1 Royal Gramma (migrated)
2 O. Clowns. (migrated)
2 Firefish (migrated)
1 Flame Angel (migrated)

To me this seems overstocked based on the full grown considering the full grown sizes of the fish. The literature I've read seems to indicate this stock list is ok, based on the 1 inch/1gallon rule. I thought ind consult the hive mind and see if y'all think I'm out in left field here.

Bad decisions, mainly because the 1" per gallon rule is horrible. It doesnt apply at all and it is a bad way to stock a tank. I would only get 3 tangs

Way too crowded. A hippo alone needs a 150+. Yes, others put that in a 125 but it's not recommended. And to add a Naso in there? No bad idea. The fish will be too crowded and too stressed.

Kinda my feeling on the issue. I have little asterisks next to the tangs on my written plan. I think dropping two yellows, hippo, and Naso would probably fair better

Hi there! I have a 6 foot 125g reef tank and have it stocked with the following:
Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
3 Blue reef Chromis
Copperband Butterfly
Male & Female Squareback Anthias'
Brown Barred Goby
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Lawnmower Blenny

I find with the smaller tang, the tomini that is, that 3 Tangs is most likely the most you should go. The blue and the yellow are quite active and tend to race back and forth during the day.

I have smaller fish for the rest instead of larger ones so I have a nice mix. I can most likely add a fish or two, nothing huge of course and still be ok.

Alot depends on your maintenance routine and water changes as well as equipment. The more fish the higher bioload and the more effort you have to put in to keep the water fine. I've also been taking my time stocking, I have been adding fish for over a year now to get to this point.
:)

Back
Top Bottom