Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pictures, not very good but that's what happens when you aren't there to take them yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2092034330.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	169461   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4195003901.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	169462  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3063213612.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	169463  

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
Pictures, not very good but that's what happens when you aren't there to take them yourself.
Ha! Love how that usually happens...

Anyway, on that last section where the pump and everything else goes, an option would be to add two baffles in order to allow the water to stay at a level height, then be filled on the other side...

I'm better at just drawing it.

The black is what you have, the red is what I would add obviously the blue is the flow of the water.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Ha! Love how that usually happens...

Anyway, on that last section where the pump and everything else goes, an option would be to add two baffles in order to allow the water to stay at a level height, then be filled on the other side...

I'm better at just drawing it.

The black is what you have, the red is what I would add obviously the blue is the flow of the water.
That seems simple enough. Just leave enough room in the new section for the pump and line back to the aquarium? Also, I don't know if the bio ball area actually opens. It has a small slot at the top but I don't think it's a drawer. If that's the case, no way to put large live rock in there. I've seen live rock rubble either advertised or at a lfs. I'm assuming that would be just as good? Or should I take a piece of live rock and break it up? No way to incorporate a refugium into this is there? I like the idea of macro algae and growing my own copepods since I have a Mandarin Goby.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

That seems simple enough. Just leave enough room in the new section for the pump and line back to the aquarium? Also, I don't know if the bio ball area actually opens. It has a small slot at the top but I don't think it's a drawer. If that's the case, no way to put large live rock in there. I've seen live rock rubble either advertised or at a lfs. I'm assuming that would be just as good? Or should I take a piece of live rock and break it up? No way to incorporate a refugium into this is there? I like the idea of macro algae and growing my own copepods since I have a Mandarin Goby.
Exactly, measure it and see how much you need, give yourself a little more and your good on the return line. If the bio ball area doesn't open, break it! Lol I don't think you'll be using it for that anymore anyways, but it should open for cleaning purposes. Maybe it's just stuck.

There really would be no way to incorporate a Fuge. Not really enough room. You could just get a 10 or 20 gallon tank, split the return and have it on a flow regulator. Then just put it higher than the other tank and let the overflow into your existing sump through a drilled hole and let the return bring up the water...

I would look to eliminate the DIY wet/dry and go with something much more fail safe tho. For my 135 I have a 6 foot 90 gallon Fuge/sump and its able to do everything I want it to and more. I have a media section, a 3 foot Fuge, a live rock sections and the return. You can custom build a Fuge for little money. My 90 total cost is around 40 dollars in glass and silicone and I got the tank for free on Craigslist. 15 in gas and its a done deal. I cleaned the crap out of it and resealed all the glass and water tested it, but it was well worth it. Much better to go that route for long run purposes.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you are saying if I wanted a refugium let the water from the main tank drain into it and the it drain into the sump?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
So you are saying if I wanted a refugium let the water from the main tank drain into it and the it drain into the sump?
Well yes, one way to do it would be to purchase an additional 10 gallon or so, split the return with a flow regulator so you can control the volume going in. Drill a hole and put a bulkhead in, the let that overflow into your sump, to be returned to the main display. It really something that I wouldn't do for myself, but I have seen it done where it works in others tanks.

I'm on the way to the angels game right now, but I will draw another pic later if you want...

Like I said tho, I would just buy a larger tank, and do it right. It gonna save you more money and effort in the long run.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Angels game! I'm a Braves - Red Sox girl myself. 😍 But a drawing would be awesome. If you don't like fugues what's your thought on Copepoda for gobies? Just buy them several times a year? I have one Mandrian Goby in my 45 now. I added a bottle of Copepods a week ago but idk how long they will last with the other fish in there. Enjoy the game!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Angels game! I'm a Braves - Red Sox girl myself. dde0d But a drawing would be awesome. If you don't like fugues what's your thought on Copepoda for gobies? Just buy them several times a year? I have one Mandrian Goby in my 45 now. I added a bottle of Copepods a week ago but idk how long they will last with the other fish in there. Enjoy the game!!!
Red Sox! Oh man! I don't think I can help you out anymore!!!

If you were to do something like this, it may take a little ingenuity... You'll need to first split the return and put a regulator on it in order to only allow a low flow through the Fuge. Then you'll need a baffle or have someone drill a hole on the top depending on how you want to do it. I prefer how I drew it only because it helps keep the cheato rotating without becoming an issue to the flow. Also having the Fuge higher than the sump is important so that there is a gravity pull on it and your not having to sync another pump or deal with that at all. Hope this helps as well, but like I said, I wouldn't keep it like this. Use this as a temp bc it is not fool proof and leaves a lot of room for error. It's more worth it to do it right first and cheaper as well. Let us know how it goes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry loaded the wrong pic

All the red would be an add on to the existing pic I sent you (which is in black)

And you will need to drill a hole in your tank for this. Talk to some peeps at your lfs or see if you can find a glass shop if you don't wanna do it yourself.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the help and advice. If I don't want to add a fugue right now (or ever according to some) what is your solution to my need of Copepods?

Tags
125 gallon, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com