Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

125 used tank and sump

I am pretty excited. I ran across a good deal on a 125 gallon reef ready tank, cabinet, wet/dry sump, sand, rock and even an Asfur Angelfish. My dilemma, is I don't want to use bio balls. I would like to get rid of them but I do like the idea of a refugium for macro algae and copepod reproduction. Also I need to use this sump. Although it was a very good deal, it tapped my extra funds for a while. The sump is an "L" shape if you lay the L on its back. The short leg sticking up is where the water flows in from the tank. It has a drawer for floss media of some sort, a compartment (doesn't look like it opens) for the bio balls, then the water drains through a small compartment with some type of hard sponge filter into a larger compartment which I assume is where I put my skimmer and heater before it returns to the tank. Any suggestions on revamping this sump to use with no bio balls?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It also came with a light but he had FOWLR and it isn't a very good light. I am going to mount lights in the canopy as I am going to have some corals in it. Also I am going to replace the pump with a stronger one then it currently has for better circulation.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well you could just pull all the balls out, and shelves and then just let it work as a simple sump. Add live rock for filtration and put your skimmer where it normally goes. That would prob be best bet for now. Another option is to just use it as a wet/dry until you can build a sump or Fuge out of a tank. I ran a wet/dry on my 90 for about a month until I finished my sump for my predator tank. Fish only tanks will do fine with bio balls, I wouldn't keep it for long run purposes tho. They like to produce nitrates over time.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Well you could just pull all the balls out, and shelves and then just let it work as a simple sump. Add live rock for filtration and put your skimmer where it normally goes. That would prob be best bet for now. Another option is to just use it as a wet/dry until you can build a sump or Fuge out of a tank. I ran a wet/dry on my 90 for about a month until I finished my sump for my predator tank. Fish only tanks will do fine with bio balls, I wouldn't keep it for long run purposes tho. They like to produce nitrates over time.
The fact that they like to produce nitrates is why I don't want to use the bio balls. Is there any reason it wouldn't work as a sump long term? I plan only putting live rock in the tank already. I have about 60 lbs in my 45gallon. I'll probably have close to 200 lbs in this one.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post

The fact that they like to produce nitrates is why I don't want to use the bio balls. Is there any reason it wouldn't work as a sump long term? I plan only putting live rock in the tank already. I have about 60 lbs in my 45gallon. I'll probably have close to 200 lbs in this one.
Well with it being an L shape, the water level is going to depend on the shorter end. You are losing space and water volume. If you were to pick up a tank that could still fit in the stand, and then add some baffles, you would benefit much more from that. It's just much easier and if you wanted to add an auto top of or any media, you have a steady water level as well to work with vs most wet dry sumps, there is already a main baffle, so you will lose water height from both sides of the sump. Post a pic of yours and maybe I can help on that...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not home right now. I will try to get my son to send me a picture or I'll post one when I get back. Basically the water drains into the sump into a drawer that has floss or filter media in it. This drawer has holes in it and then drains into the chamber with the bio balls. From there it drains into a lower (empty) chamber and flows over a short wall into a small chamber that has some type of hard sponge similar to styrofoam stuck between the two walls (baffle maybe?) and from there into the larger, deeper chamber that houses the return pump, skimmer heater, uv filter, and a phosban reactor. Not a picture but hopefully a better explanation.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

That also brings me to another question. I've never used a phosphate (phosban) reactor. This aquarium acquisition came with one. What is its purpose and how does it work. It has some type of electrodes on the container. Do I need it if I use RO water?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
That also brings me to another question. I've never used a phosphate (phosban) reactor. This aquarium acquisition came with one. What is its purpose and how does it work. It has some type of electrodes on the container. Do I need it if I use RO water?
Sounds like a standard wet/dry sump. I was asking for a pic to see if I could help you possibly convert it to a normal sump with little work.

A phosban reactor is for phosphates. It helps keep them down so corals will thrive. They don't do well with phosphate in the water. You can run several different types of media in them, I personally like Gfo. You would add the amount for your total water volume, then turn the flow up to allow water to have a little tumble to it at the top. It then goes back into the sump. Very easy and effective. Yes with ro/di water it is still needed, phosphate is a byproduct from feeding and fish waste.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I realize that a photo would be helpful. however i am out of town for the next couple of days. I was hoping to get my son to send one to me but he isn't home yet. I will post one ASAP as I would like to get this up and running this weekend
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

If extra water volume is needed could the existing sump sit inside a larger container like a Tupperware container or something?

Tags
125 gallon, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com