125G New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
No live stock yet. Want to add some tomorrow but have questions for all you great people out there :)

Facts.
  • No Cycle because I have 100Lb's of LR that came from a 2yr old tank. Sand was new.
  • Been up and running for about 1month now with all parameters remaining the same.
  • PH - 7.8.... I need to bring this up to 8.2-8.4, right? How do I do that? Why isn't it at that range already?
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate - 10.... been consistantly here. Is that ok?
  • KH - 125.3.... This is low but this is basically a FOWLR with just a very few easy corals. Is this ok?
  • SG - 1.023
  • Phosphate - 0
  • Calcium - 300... i know this is low too. Will this be ok with the couple corals I am going to transfer... (frogspawn, brain, green bubble)
So here is the stocking question..... I have a clown in another tank that I want to transfer over to this one... but from what I read I should add all clowns and similar at one time to prevent aggression. So should I move this clown, but 2 more and 4 chromis all at the same time?

Oh, and then in 2 weeks I was going to add 2 tangs.

I would say that might be too much for a two week period. Maybe a month or two. Is there a sump or refuge for this tank?

there is a 25 gallon sump. I would love to take it slow and add only one fish every 2-3 weeks.... but I'm worried about transferring my clown to this tank alone... .from what I read, if I add other clowns / chromis later - they may attack him.

What would be your recommendation... if my goal is to have 4 chromis, 2 other clowns and my one existing clown (that is currently in another tank).... then later down the road I will add the tangs and others...

If it was me I would add only one clown if they are different and two if they are a mated pair. I had two different type clowns in a 125 and they picked at each other for yrs. Just go with a mated pair and go with an odd number (3 or 5) of chromis. Wait a month and add your tangs. BTW what type tangs?

Oh, there is no fuge... my sump currently is dual hose that goes into bunches of BIO Balls... then through sponge and into chamber that houses heater and skimmer..... then out throug external pump

Thanks Mike.... so in your opinion... just transfer my existing clown in the tank at the same time with 3-4 chromis? (tomorrow). Then I won't get any more clowns.

I'm currently looking at the Brown Powder Tang and the Salfin Tang.

Sounds good. Now about the tangs. Sailfin should be OK and maybe the powder brown but they do have a reputation as ick magnets. Do you have a QT to observe him with?

Man, I know some tangs our easily receptable to Itch but from my readings I thought these two were not. Can you recommend two tang size fish that are pretty and fun to watch -- and hardy.

Also regarding my PH being at 7.8..... i'm using instant ocean --- is this going to be normal PH for me? Am I going to have to consistantly use a buffer? recommendations?

Tell me what your PH is right before the lights go out in the evening. IMO the two most stable tangs is the yellow tang and the yellow eyed kole tang. I have both of them along with a scopas tang.

Thank you so much for your advice. I took PH 1hr before lights go out and it was 8.4..... so as usual - you are correct!.

I added the existing clown and the bubble tip Sunday. Acclimated them about 3hrs (float method). They both are doing great.

Later this week I am going to get 3 chromis.... then a month after that I will get 2 tangs.... Mike, I will look up the ones you have and see if I like them.

thanks again all!

Next question is I need to get my Calcium up... it's about 320 right now....... any recommendations?

What type salt mix are you using? I`m thinking with that reading it`s Instant Ocean. You might have to supplement calcium with that salt mix. Not that IO is inferior to any other salt mix. They have their pros and cons. I use Oceanic which keeps my calcium around 450-480. But the con for that is the alk is kind of low. Let me know what type you are using and I know that alot of folks use some type 2 part calcium solution but I cant remember what the name is. Maybe kurt will see this and let us know.

LOL -- Right again! I'm using IO. I'm buying the 200Gal box mix from Dr foster for like $38... Can't beat it :)

I have "Tropic Marin" BIO-Calcium that I bought and used a couple times on my smaller tank... I would add to the small return in the back of the tank. Problem was the calcium never stayed up and I would have to do it every week.

IMO, IO is great salt, good for the money even though some things need to be added. That supplement should work. I used to use pickling lime to up my calcium, comes in handy when you get an aiptasia problem too. Problem with that is that it will mess with your ph. I use kent marine liquid calcium now.

Back
Top Bottom