Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

125G Reef setup

So browsing craigslist for liverock I came across a 125G complete reef setup with a tonn of live rock for abit more than I was planning on spending on the live rock itself. Its a 72" tank so not very deep.

The lights that came with it though I am thinking are going to pose issues with some coral that require high light intensity. This fits with the reading I've done on reef lighting but I wanted to be sure and get some feedback from you seasoned experts.

The lights are power compacts. I believe.

Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight With 1-96W Actinic / 1-96W 10,000K Lamp Square Pin Base (with fans)

This puts me at a total of 384W, half of which is at 10,000K. Although I read on a site which are selling the lights they are good for reef tanks. This seems like a low amount of light.

The reading I had done put my estimation of the watts I would need for 125G at around 450w.

Any thoughts/insight/recommendations?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Metal Halides. The best you can get. Alternativley you could get some T5s. I only have Actinics but my tank is small and shallow.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whenever I see Metal Halides they dont seem to run the length of the tank like T5's or PC's. How does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Metal Halides. The best you can get. Alternativley you could get some T5s. I only have Actinics but my tank is small and shallow.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually you would have them hang over the tank, about 1ft above. Is the tank a 6ft? If so then you can have three spaced over the tank, hanging. The strength of the globes is enough so that you can have the space above the tank and inbetween the globes with no probs.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, those PC's are useless. I have PC myself and I wish I went with T5 HO or MH. Generally, retailers will say anything to promote a product just to sell it, so you can't always believe what they say. Try a T5 HO setup like this one:

72" 12x39W Nova Extreme PRO T5HO 3x10k/3x460nm Actinics by Current USA*(1082) - AquaCave

It should allow you to keep anything you want.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thom's right. T5's will allow you to keep pretty much every coral apart from the ones that need super intense light. Plus T5's won't generate as much heat as MH's. But it's your decision. Personally, I would go the MH's. That's just me though.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the info - I'm gonna keep a look on the local craigslist for metal halides I've a good few months before I setup because its going into a wall I still have a bunch of work to do on to accommodate everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Thom's right. T5's will allow you to keep pretty much every coral apart from the ones that need super intense light. Plus T5's won't generate as much heat as MH's. But it's your decision. Personally, I would go the MH's. That's just me though.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Remember the MH`s have a 24 inch footprint. Three will cover your whole tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

just an fyi, somebody is selling some mh's on here and just dropped the price... might wanna check out the classifieds forum if craigslist isnt helping you out any

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, reef, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com