Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

135 gallon tank overflow...

Ok, I went to my lfs today and was advised I need to get TWO overflows for my 135 gallon tank into my sump. is this true?

Can I just get one overflow, and have a powerhaed in the opposite end of the tank to create a current?

Also how many GPH pump should I get?

From my understanding I need two pumps. One for my sump, and one for my skimmer. You know what GPH I should get for each?

I found an overflow. You think this will work for my 135 gallon tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siphon-Aquarium-...em160042174235

Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just dont think that will be enough turnover. Most tanks that size have 2 overflows but this is not a specialty subject of mine. Maybe someone with experience can help. Sorry

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now the one in the link has 2 heads and says it supports up to 200gal tank. Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Oh OK I missed that. It might be OK then.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

also what GPH pumps should I be using on the skimmer, and the refugium pump? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I cant give you numbers, but you will need a rahter large pump I think for the sump, seeing as how it has to pump water upwards a few feet. The lower your sump is in relation to your tank, the larger pump you need. And idfferant brands will work differant went pumping upwards.

i.e. the higher you try and pum the water, the more flow you will lose form the pump, and not all pumps are created equal.

a 250gph pump made from brand y when pumping from a sump 4 ft lower than the main tank to the main tank may only have finaly output of 150gph, whereas the 225gph pump from brand x would, under the same circumstances, put out 175gph.

Basically your gonna need to find someone with a decent amount of experience to tell you
Old 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The overflow you provided in the link isnít a dual output overflow. At $29 itís probably an Odyssey overflow which doesnít have the best track record for performance.

Iíd get a CPR CS102 Overflow which has dual 1Ē outlets for up to 1200 GPH. A Mag 9.5 pump should give you around 800 gph turnover in the sump. Iíd build your own sump to save $$$

You will still need two powerheads in the tank like two Maxi-Jet 1200 or Seio Pumps to get your total tank turn over per hour 15+.

Most skimmers you buy come with a pump. Do you have a skimmer without a pump now and if so what brand?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Check out the Aqua C EV180 skimmer. Marine Depot has it with a Mag 7 I believe. Also with a speed fiiting for calk reactors. Nice IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
I was wondering on this exact same product, does anyone have any experience with this overflow? I would really appreciate some advice on this product.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Why did the LFS say you HAD to have an overflow? An overflow with a sump setup is great to have and I would not have a tank that did not BUT you don't have to gave one. You can use PH's to get the turnover you need.

Most reef ready tanks have two overflows rated at 600 gph each. A single overflow could handle it if it was rated at the flow you wanted. You could run 600 gph and then just supplement with PH's or even add a closed loop.

A sump set up gives you a place for equipment and adds water volume to your system. Either way, you buy a pump based on what the overflow will handle, nothing more. I use a mag7 on my skimmer which is the biggest it will take with the current configuration.

Tags
5 gallon, flow, overflow, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com