135 gallon tank overflow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I went to my lfs today and was advised I need to get TWO overflows for my 135 gallon tank into my sump. is this true?

Can I just get one overflow, and have a powerhaed in the opposite end of the tank to create a current?

Also how many GPH pump should I get?

From my understanding I need two pumps. One for my sump, and one for my skimmer. You know what GPH I should get for each?

I found an overflow. You think this will work for my 135 gallon tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siphon-Aquarium...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160042174235

I just dont think that will be enough turnover. Most tanks that size have 2 overflows but this is not a specialty subject of mine. Maybe someone with experience can help. Sorry

Now the one in the link has 2 heads and says it supports up to 200gal tank. Thoughts?

also what GPH pumps should I be using on the skimmer, and the refugium pump? Thanks.

I cant give you numbers, but you will need a rahter large pump I think for the sump, seeing as how it has to pump water upwards a few feet. The lower your sump is in relation to your tank, the larger pump you need. And idfferant brands will work differant went pumping upwards.

i.e. the higher you try and pum the water, the more flow you will lose form the pump, and not all pumps are created equal.

a 250gph pump made from brand y when pumping from a sump 4 ft lower than the main tank to the main tank may only have finaly output of 150gph, whereas the 225gph pump from brand x would, under the same circumstances, put out 175gph.

Basically :) your gonna need to find someone with a decent amount of experience to tell you :)

The overflow you provided in the link isn’t a dual output overflow. At $29 it’s probably an Odyssey overflow which doesn’t have the best track record for performance.

I’d get a CPR CS102 Overflow which has dual 1” outlets for up to 1200 GPH. A Mag 9.5 pump should give you around 800 gph turnover in the sump. I’d build your own sump to save $$$

You will still need two powerheads in the tank like two Maxi-Jet 1200 or Seio Pumps to get your total tank turn over per hour 15+.

Most skimmers you buy come with a pump. Do you have a skimmer without a pump now and if so what brand?

Check out the Aqua C EV180 skimmer. Marine Depot has it with a Mag 7 I believe. Also with a speed fiiting for calk reactors. Nice IMO.

I was wondering on this exact same product, does anyone have any experience with this overflow? I would really appreciate some advice on this product.

Why did the LFS say you HAD to have an overflow? An overflow with a sump setup is great to have and I would not have a tank that did not BUT you don't have to gave one. You can use PH's to get the turnover you need.

Most reef ready tanks have two overflows rated at 600 gph each. A single overflow could handle it if it was rated at the flow you wanted. You could run 600 gph and then just supplement with PH's or even add a closed loop.

A sump set up gives you a place for equipment and adds water volume to your system. Either way, you buy a pump based on what the overflow will handle, nothing more. I use a mag7 on my skimmer which is the biggest it will take with the current configuration.

i dont see why you would need two overflows but the one that you were looking at was way to small. I have a 135 fowlr that i just finished setting up. i have one overflow that has 2 1.5 inch outlets that has a 1500 gph flow rate. i have one return pump in my sump that runs at 1720 gph but only about 1450 when pumping up 3.5 feet. I also have two 650 gph powerheads on either end of the tank. circulation is great and there are no dead spots. my turn over rate is just over 20. you will need another powerhead for your skimmer,most come with them but if not it will tell you what gph rating to get.

Back
Top Bottom