135 Gallon Triton Oasis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a reef aquarium. I would like to know, so I'm using tap water and I got the tap water tested at a pet store and the phosphate in the water seems to be .25. The person at the store told me he didn't really know what they were doing when they were doing a test, but the test strips showed a light green color which indicates the phosphate level of .25. uploadfromtaptalk1486349545443.jpg

Should I buy API Phos-Zorb filter media to bring down the phosphates before adding salt, live rock, and live sand?

I'd shoot for rodi somehow. Tap water is gonna give you some serious issues with algae especially during cycling.

What if I start with tap? then all water changes after use RODI after?

Wasn't a total waste of water... at least I was able to troubleshoot some plumbing issues with the tap water when it was in.

Waiting for the RO DI unit, should arrive tomorrow. Today I'm going to buy a large trash bin with wheels and so that I can start making saltwater tomorrow, when the unit arrives.

Stacy ,... absolutely start using the Rodi unit now,. also,when making up saltwater in that trash can do not forget to use some sort of a pump or powerhead to aide in circulating the water when mixing up the salt , a extra heater set for you tanks temperature is a good idea too ,... looking forwards to your tank build

4f16b31052247161a23617dc0a9d9200.jpg

My protein skimmer won't fit in my refugium[emoji20] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

Need to find a compact protein skimmer rated for 135 gallons. Any suggestions?

If it's a height issue ,Would it fit if you removed the collection cup and slide it in and THEN reinstall the collection cup back on once it's in the sump ? Otherwise bulk reef supply may be a good starting point, just measure out the size you're going to need to fit comfortably in your sump and look at what's avail in your price bracket and size ,...I remember having to remove the collection cup on of my old protein skimmers in order for it to fit :-/ ,..don't forget to measure the " footprint" of your ' new' skimmer to make sure it'll fit into the sump's chamber too .

it's a height and length and width issue, I must have read the dimensions of the lower end model.

My RO DI system was lost by Amazon. (Of Course when I really need something it gets lost).

1.) I was expecting the RO system to arrive yesterday (Paid for overnight shipping)
2.) Bought 75 LBS of Live Rock yesterday morning. The store told me the live rock could only sit for in the buckets wrapped in wet newspaper for a couple hours.
3.) I filled a 32 Gallon drum with tap water. Used the dechlorination solution. And Tested the water for GH, KH, PH, NO2, and NO3. Everything looked Ideal except for PH.
4.) I heated the water to 78 degrees
5.) Added 2 circulation pumps to the trash bin.
6.) Added Salt to around 1.023-1.024 reading
7.)Added the live rock to the solution
8.) Called Amazon and FedEx, they have no idea where my RO-DI system is.
9.) I went to Petco to try to find a better thermometer.
10.) While I was at Pet I noticed they sell RO-DI Systems. which are 50 GPD, so I bought 2 of them.
11.)I went to Home Depot to buy another trash can, so I can make RO-DI Water, since my other trash bin is now housing the live rock.
12.) I hooked up the RO system around 10PM Last night, 9AM now and the trash Bin is about 3/4 full.

Question:
1.) Since I only have 1 trash bin, and a 32 gallon trash bin (135 Gallon Aquarium); once the trash bin in full should I mix saltwater and pump it into the aquarium, so I can start making more RO-DI water?
2.) When do I put the live rock and sand in, again since I only have 1 trash bin?

You should have an air bubbler to keep O2 in the water and keep the water moving. I have a tiny tank and buy prepared saltwater, to avoid this :) RO and trash can thing. I think it needs to sit afterwards to make sure it is really thoughroughly mixed but as you may not care as it is just for the LR to stay alive. While you are doing all that mixing maybe the RO can be going into a 5G bucket??? Then put the big trash can back under the RO after you are finished, adding back the 5G bucket amount.

Oh and companies ship LR in the mail, mostly overnight parcel so maybe not too big deal to be not in water for more than a few hours. Obviously more time goes by more chance of loss of BB.

I have my rock in water... treated tap water salt still around 1.023, I have a jet circulating the water.

I ran into a snag, after 26 hours of RO/DI water generation (btw..I have 2 RO/DI 50 GPD units and only produced a trash can full of water in 26 hours). I grabbed my heater. Heated the water to an acceptable temperature to start mixing salt.

I went to my kitchen to grab a coffee. Then started to smell something burning. The water heater went crazy, started turning bright red making a hissing noise, and I smelled burning plastic. (btw The heater was totally submerged and wasn't touching the sides of my trash can).

To make a long story short, I had to dump 26 hours of RO/DI water.

1.) I'm returning the 2 RO/DI systems I bought. They show 50 Gallons per day, but it's more like 15 Gallons per day.
2.) I bought a 100 GPD unit, and a pump to increase my city water pressure.
3.) I'm going to let my rock cure in the trash bin until Tuesday when the new unit arrives.

Wow, thank goodness you were there during the melt down and caught it before something worse happened!

Circulating jet sounds like the best option.

Maybe just for interest sake, if you have time, check the water for ammonia now and later again and see if there was much die off in your LR. Curious :brows:

Back
Top Bottom