14 g biocube set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ga1981

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I just got a biocube...

Was an old one, the previous owner did saltwater first and switch to freshwater after....
The BC was sitting for some time before I got it is super dirty, not the glass particularly but the chambers on the back mostly...
I want to set up a little reef tank so now how should clean the tank?
Also what's the best fishes and coral for those aquarium? I'm not going to upgrade the lights to led,to expensive...
Also what filtration to use?because I don't really trust the bio balls for the BC....
Any help is appreciate...
Thanx

Hello, I just got a biocube...

Was an old one, the previous owner did saltwater first and switch to freshwater after....
The BC was sitting for some time before I got it is super dirty, not the glass particularly but the chambers on the back mostly...
I want to set up a little reef tank so now how should clean the tank?
Also what's the best fishes and coral for those aquarium? I'm not going to upgrade the lights to led,to expensive...
Also what filtration to use?because I don't really trust the bio balls for the BC....
Any help is appreciate...
Thanx

This may help some. As for cleaning. Vinegar/water solution and elbow grease.

Fish you could do a goby/pistol shrimp pair. Some may not like this but I've seen a clown fish in BC14's. YouTube it and see what people are doing.

Easy corals like mushrooms, Xenia, leathers may fair well under the stock lights.

Good idea, I'm cleaning with vinegar and water,already....

Goby, yes I like gobies,fire gobies I was thinking, what about mandarin? I think may be 14 is to small....
Some snail and hermit crab too
, what about polyps?

Good idea, I'm cleaning with vinegar and water,already....

Goby, yes I like gobies,fire gobies I was thinking, what about mandarin? I think may be 14 is to small....
Some snail and hermit crab too
, what about polyps?

I'd stay away from the mandarin for a while. Polyps will work and snail, hermits also.

The only problem I have with the cleaning are the chambers, are really small to get in to it....

Was looking at some nano fish on liveaquaria, there is some cool stuff...

The only problem I have with the cleaning are the chambers, are really small to get in to it....

Was looking at some nano fish on liveaquaria, there is some cool stuff...

Use a bottle brush. You can find them at the dollar store. It will get into the hard to reach areas. LA has some neat fish!

Good luck

Your biocube is fantastic!!!

I start mine last Saturday,got some sand(20 pounds) and live rock(11 pounds)....
The water was a little cloudy but now is clear, just a little dust on the glass.
Right now I'm using the regular cartridge for filter and bio balls. Do you have any suggestion?
About the light, right now I keep them off,or I should turn them on?i will like to upgrade cause the bulb are expensive, better invest those$ in LED....

I'm dealing with the same currently. I have a 29 and I can still see tiny green spots on glass after scrubbing and running with vinegar water. Will this die off if fully dried? Can it come back? Planning to replace apache loud fans and make a media basket for second chamber from egg crate.

I don't have nothing growin on glass, took me like 3 days to clean the tank and components,have some dust from the sand sitting on the glass but can be easily removed with a sponge....
For filtration on my 14 gallon I'm going to leave the bio balls first to see how everything go,if not the egg grate is a good idea, and use some chemi-pure as my 29g,works great.for a 14 g if I can keep up with water change I think should be fine, rocks and sand will take care of everything

Yah, I tried getting chambers best as I could as well. Just curious if dried out algae will take off again if reintroduced to water. I think stock filtration will be fine but Im making a rack because tanks still dry, and need quite a few things before I can get it up and running so I've got plenty of time on my hands to make one.

Good idea,

I may upgrade to LED lights, cause the bulbs are over $30 each over here, I think the LED is going to be a good investment

Good idea,

I may upgrade to LED lights, cause the bulbs are over $30 each over here, I think the LED is going to be a good investment

I think LEDs will be well worth it. Unfortunately it's not an option for me right now. I'm still needing S/W test kit, live rock, saltmix, powerhead, ballast, upgrade my fans, and another heater for mixed water. So, maybe one day :/

Yes, get a little expensive, but is wort it....

In my 29 I have a canister so on the biocube I want to try something natural and see how that goes....

Back
Top Bottom