14 Gallon Bio-Cube Leaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have noticed a couple of times in the last week or so that after I do work with my hand in my Oceanic Systems 14 Gallon Bio-Cube that there is a small water droplet coming from the casing. It drips for a little while, really small amounts of water and then dries up. I am not sure what is causing it because water shouldn't really get in that part of the casing when I am working on the tank, so I assume there is a tiny break in the seal.

My question is whether or not there is a way that I can seal this on my own without having to swap the tank out? Maybe put some marine epoxy up there or something like that? I am new when it comes to fixing/building tanks though I should warn...

Attached is a picture with the droplet circled.. Any advice would be GREAT!

Attachments

• droplet_295.jpg
    droplet_295.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 201
IT looks like it is near the top and if you can isolate and seal with silicon. You might have to drop your water down some until you do it.

Could it be evaporation, or water being splashed?

i talked to oceanic and they said that they think it may be a small gap in the silicone that is responding to my hand being in the tank/water level rising. He said it shouldn't be a problem as far as the structural integrity but to get the GE brand silicone and just run it under that area and push it up with my finger. He said that sometimes the silicone doesn't set right and that small holes develop in the upper part where water can get in if the water level gets too high.

Does this sound like a reasonable answer/solution? Since I am new to the whole tank leaking game I can't really tell..

I just want to make sure that the tank isn't going to crack open one day..

I agree, sound like a good explination. Hmmm, seems if they knew so much about that specific problem......

he did say he knew what I was talking about... half of the reason about why it was the way it was I didn't understand... something about capillaries... i will try adding some silicone it at some point and watch it carefully...

i do not need to remove any silicone before I do it right? I can't even see the actual silicone since it is such close quarters/so close to the lip of the tank casing.

so it didnt work (or I didn't get enough in the right area since it is nearly impossible to get my hand under the lip)... any other ideas?

Unlike larger tanks which displace the water better putting your hand/arm into your 14 gal tank is going to cause your water level to rise about ½”. The easiest solution is to just use a clean plastic cup and remove 4+ cups of water before doing any maintenance to the tank and then replace when you are done. Either that or always run it slightly lower. IME the top seal is always the weakest and mine does the same thing if I top off too high.

Make sure your hands are clean also ;)

Back
Top Bottom