Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

14 gallon biocube problem

My son's 14 gallon biocube has been up and running for 3 months. the problem we are having is with the filter system. it seems to re-circulate sand particles over and over. The water never has cleared since the initial set up. The store where we bought it has sent a tech out twice with no definitive solution. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? They want us to bring it back to their store so they can monitoe it daily to see what the problem is. I'm afraid it will stress the fish and corals to much. Your Thoughts... Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you sure it's sand and not air bubbles?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoNemo
My son's 14 gallon biocube has been up and running for 3 months. the problem we are having is with the filter system. it seems to re-circulate sand particles over and over. The water never has cleared since the initial set up. The store where we bought it has sent a tech out twice with no definitive solution. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? They want us to bring it back to their store so they can monitoe it daily to see what the problem is. I'm afraid it will stress the fish and corals to much. Your Thoughts... Thanks
What are you using in the filter? A some filter floss will clear it up in less than a day, unless im misunderstanding the problem.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I find the stock filtration system to less desired. I don't how much you wanna get into things but there are minor mods that can be done to help with filtration. That stock filter isn't that great IMO and who the options you can have that thing purring like a happy kitty at dinner time.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube...ket-BC14MR.htm

Just an idea. Also since there techs came out its not an issue with power heads pointed towards the sand right?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

The tech agrees with me. There is some air but for the most part it is sand. We tried filter fabric. No luck. I'm back to the stock filter per the tech. The original sponge between the rubble housing and the pump housing you could actually see sand passing through it. We doubled up a tighter sponge still no luck. We are new to saltwater aquariums so all of your input is welcomed. Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of sand? Is it like powder fine? Maybe you could try turning the filter off for a while and letting the sand settle, then turning it back on. Also make sure no powerheads are blowing your sand around.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

The power heads are pointed toward the sand.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, there's your problem then. :P After a while they should make little sand dunes and everything will settle. However you should probably aim them straight or facing upwards a little.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

It it's a fine sand. We have tried turning it off. Didn't work. We even thought it might not be sealed along the bottom of the back wall of the tank. But when turned off the water level in the pump compartment stay the same.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

I meant aren't pointed toward the sand.

Tags
14 gallon, bio, biocube, cube, gallon, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com