14 gallon biocube problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamoNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My son's 14 gallon biocube has been up and running for 3 months. the problem we are having is with the filter system. it seems to re-circulate sand particles over and over. The water never has cleared since the initial set up. The store where we bought it has sent a tech out twice with no definitive solution. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? They want us to bring it back to their store so they can monitoe it daily to see what the problem is. I'm afraid it will stress the fish and corals to much. Your Thoughts... Thanks

CamoNemo said:
My son's 14 gallon biocube has been up and running for 3 months. the problem we are having is with the filter system. it seems to re-circulate sand particles over and over. The water never has cleared since the initial set up. The store where we bought it has sent a tech out twice with no definitive solution. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? They want us to bring it back to their store so they can monitoe it daily to see what the problem is. I'm afraid it will stress the fish and corals to much. Your Thoughts... Thanks

What are you using in the filter? A some filter floss will clear it up in less than a day, unless im misunderstanding the problem.

I find the stock filtration system to less desired. I don't how much you wanna get into things but there are minor mods that can be done to help with filtration. That stock filter isn't that great IMO and who the options you can have that thing purring like a happy kitty at dinner time.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm

Just an idea. Also since there techs came out its not an issue with power heads pointed towards the sand right?

The tech agrees with me. There is some air but for the most part it is sand. We tried filter fabric. No luck. I'm back to the stock filter per the tech. The original sponge between the rubble housing and the pump housing you could actually see sand passing through it. We doubled up a tighter sponge still no luck. We are new to saltwater aquariums so all of your input is welcomed. Thanks

What kind of sand? Is it like powder fine? Maybe you could try turning the filter off for a while and letting the sand settle, then turning it back on. Also make sure no powerheads are blowing your sand around.

Well, there's your problem then. :p After a while they should make little sand dunes and everything will settle. However you should probably aim them straight or facing upwards a little.

It it's a fine sand. We have tried turning it off. Didn't work. We even thought it might not be sealed along the bottom of the back wall of the tank. But when turned off the water level in the pump compartment stay the same.

Oh, I was wondering if you meant "aren't" instead of "are". That happens on my phone a lot lol!

I have found that finer grained sand sucks. One fish swimming near the bottom creates a dust storm. Sand that is the size of a grain of sugar is about the right size in my opinion. I doubt you want to change your sand though.

But 3 months is a looong time!

Yes it is. Going back Friday to talk to the owner. Hopefully he'll exchange it for a new tank. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom