Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question 140g Setup questions.

Just wanted to introduce myself my name is Raul I'm new to saltwater so be gentle . I just purchased a used 140g tank that was setup and running. I tried to do a little research and i kind of get how to start up a new system. I have had it set up for about four weeks now and my ammonia levels spiked the first 2 week but now are bottomed out same as nitrite levels. nitrates are fairly low as well. Is it safe to say my biological filter is up and running? What should i do now? lol. Right now the system is on a sump w/ a coralife protein skimmer. I have koralia 550, 500gph water pump for water movement. about 25 lbs of live rock. temp is at 80, specific gravity is at1.025. as far as lighting goes its a simple aquarium compact fluorescent light with a blue led light rope attached. i assumed that is what he used for moonlight? I want to eventually add some coral just need to do a little research. any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Some questions I have:
Lighting any recommendations?
what are some hardy corals that are very forgiving?
What fish should i start with and when?
when do i start adding coral?
is 500gph sump pump enough? the original 1300gph one it came with no longer works without giving you a little shock .

So excited to get started but im kinda overwhelmed .

Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Nothing?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Raul
I think you've got a good start going. It sounds like you moved most of the equipment and rocks from. Another tank or location to your own. But you don't have enough rock, especially for corals. You should have 1 to 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon of your DT. It doesn't need to be expensive live rock, you can use base rock and let it grow into live rock over time. As it sounds like you are going to go slowly (always a good idea) so the additional rock will become live at a good pace.
As for lighting, your desires as to the type of coral you want to eventually have (in a tank that size you may want all types in the end) will determine the intensity of the lighting.
What kind of tank dimensions do you have? 6' recommended for most tangs.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

Tank measures 72x25x19. I actually have 100 #s of LR but will pick up some more soon. What kind of lighting would you recommend? I was leaning towards some tangs. I picked up a domino damsel Tuesday.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If ammonia and nitrite are 0 yes your bio filter is ready to go. I personally would stay away from damsels, mean little guys.

A tang would work in that tank, check out websites like live aquaria or blue zoo aquatics to check out the different species and they should have compatibility charts also.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Raul type in soft corals or easy to care for corals and you will find many helpful sites . A good phone app is aquarium I.D. quick and easy with pics of corals inverts and fish
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

That app is amazing. Great way to burn some time
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

So I was looking through cl for some lighting and found this http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/3111222908.html I'm wondering if this would be a good buy for what I'm trying to accomplish?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #9

P/u some LR that had a stowaway. It's a good sized bristle starfish. Should I keep him or return him?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know what the flow ont he return pump is?

I think you would do well to add some more / bigger circulation pumps regardless.

How are you managing water changes? Do you have an RODI unit, are you buying from a LFS or grocery store, etc? What you don't want to do is use tapwater. It has all kinds of stuff in it that while generally harmless for us becaome fertilizer for algae.

It sounds like you have some kind of test kit with at least ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you don't have already, pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium are also receommended for keeping corals.

As far as the light you referenced, I can't tell what type or how many bulbs that fixture has. If it is a T5HO fixture (which is generally the cheapest initial outlay of cash), I'd recommend something with at least four rows of bulbs. (Probably an 8-bulb fixture on that size tank. I think on 6-foot tanks, eacdh bulb is typically half the length of the tank.) More is better. If you go metal halide, you probably want at least three bulbs of at least 250 Watts each. These are next up in terms of initial outlay. If you can afford the initial outlay, LEDs are the way to go. Althoguh the initial cost seems sky high, you don't have to replace bulbs and they don't heat the water like halides will.

The brittle star is probably fine. You don't often see them as hitchikers, but the green sepent star is the only one of that complex to look out for.

Tags
40 gallon, questions, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com