Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to magnaflow
15 gal pointless for salwater?

I got a extra 15 gal tank I was going to use it for breading but I want to get into some salt water to. Is it to small to even try? I am going to get another 55 soon or bigger but just wondering if it pointless to try with a 15 gal with like 1 fish or something. thoughts?

Old 09-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
I have a 15 gallon SW tank in my bedroom, i have a couple clowns, a shirmp, and an Urchin i keep in it. No problems here.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hada ten for a while and it was nice but I am warning you that you will just want more. my ten is now a sump for my new tank......
Old 09-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can be set up as a nano. I started with a 20gal. I agree with the above you will want more. You will be limited to 1-2 fish and a few inverts.

Here is a link for some fish compatible with that size tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=2124

FYI, even a 15 gal can be costly to get the right equipment for SW. IMO, a small tank is not necessarily a great place to start with because believe it or not small tank require more maintenance due to a small volume of water that must be maintained at a high standard.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
You can do a nice nano in a 15 gallon tank. You might need to get some new lights for it, but that would be all that I can think of. Many people keep reef tanks even smaller than 15 gallons. I say go for it, but make sure you do your research and reading before you dive in. 8)

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah thanks guys I think i might. DO you think you guys can give me a hand to set up. What do I all need like everything. I am new to salt water.
I search around site but everything seems to be different aka they told me 15 was way to small. So maybe you guys can give eme a hand of all what i need.
also I would like some coral and stuff like that too.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Magnaflow,

Everyone has their own thoughts and ideas on what you will need. Compare responses and do your homework. Check out the articles page:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Assuming you are starting out from scratch with just the 15gal tank I would highly suggest scrapping the idea of using the existing tank and check out a nano cube:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...77&N=2004+2020

These usually sell for $99-119 and basically come with everything you need minus decor and livestock. By the time you get the proper lighting and filtration for 15gal you will spend more than this. Considering a new 15gal is like $22 you are not losing much by not using it as most of your existing FW equipment cannot be used with SW. You could still use the 15gal for mixing/storing salt water and/or a QT tank.

The new models of nano cubes with the fan and lights are great. I have been very tempted on more than one occassion when they have been on sale at my LFS. They also make a 24gal model.

If you are going to set up a nano do not look at it as starting small and then moving up to a larger tank as a nano is an entirely different kind of set up with different livestock.

IME, when you start with saltwater you want to take your time and do it right or it just leads to frustration. Been there done that. The Nano cube is a great affordable starting point to learn with as you prepare to do a larger display tank.

HTH,

Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try heading to www.nano-reef.com Their forum can be a little crazy but there are lots of great artivles and ideas that would be very useful.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

tkos,

Good site, I bookmarked it.

Thanks,

Old 09-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

tempted to just say nuts to ti and goign down and buyign another 55 gallon. would be easier that way wouldnt it.. liek a pre setup for salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com