15 gallon column beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrisJhon28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello
me and my girlfriend decided to do saltwater tank
its been running for 3 weeks now
i wanna put some clean up crew but i have no idea what to put

any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-681683838.jpg
    image-681683838.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,802
  • image-600170343.jpg
    image-600170343.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 208
Nice tank, as for clean up crew I would add 2 -4 turbo snails, a couple of red leg hermits or one blue leg, a shrimp either a peppermint one or cleaner shrimp. That should get you started as you van always add more when and if you want.
You say the tanks been up and running for 3 weeks that's not a lot of time to be honest, I would wait for a month poss more and keep testing your water to see if it has cycled fully.
The most important advice I ever had in this hobby was to take it slow and go with the flow. Hope this helps.

Any time I'm still learning myself. Ejoy the process of creating your own little bit of sea. Can't wait to see your progress.

just an update

i change my light 12W par38 LED

Attachments

• image-2656406273.jpg
    image-2656406273.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 308
Looking good. Can not wait to see some more live stock in

need help
its growing hair algae
should i buy some clean up crew now?

Attachments

• image-3110696447.jpg
    image-3110696447.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 169
Do you have any other stock yet? If its still new I would say its just going through the uglies. All new tanks do so be patient, it's not pretty I know! For your info, in the future a clean up crew doesn't solve algae issues, they help but are no cure. Excess algae is due to poor water conditions, too much food, too much lighting, not enough water changes etc. If I were you I would add you first fish (if you haven't already) and perhaps a snail or too, slow and steady wins the salt water race :)

That looks to me diatoms all over your sand, they use the silicate in the sand ect, you best bet is to leave it to it and it will disappear. As for the hair algae a couple of snails and crabs will help but wont solve, Start doing more regular water changes,and turning your light photoperiod down say to 8hrs and that will help.

SHUT YOUR LIGHTS OFF.

During the cycle you don't need lights. While cycling, you are going thru periods of significantly high levels of nitrogenous nutrients in the tank. First ammonia, then nitrite and finally nitrate. All 3 of those will feed algae, which I can see a ton of in there. Nothing needs light right now, so it is only helping the algae grow.
Where are you in your cycle?

its running 7weeks now
so no need for the light for now :)
and i have 1 chromis only in the tank

thank you thank you

Back
Top Bottom