150 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys

So in starting to breakdown my 150 fw to turn into sw! I already have a 55 sw I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna keep it or just move everything to the 150. But I need some help with what equipment should I get for it? I am going to get 4 120w led taotronics for it I have 2 over my 55 and love them. But I really don't have a budget for it besides the lights. The specs of the tank is it 6 and half feet long and about 36 in tall it's a customs acrylic tank reef ready. It has one retun pump though from the 50 gallon sump also custom. But what should I get as far as protein skimmer, power heads, etc...my plan is to have the best equipment for the tank and need some advice and help with starting to order equipment and start the cycling process as soon as I get rid of the current inhabitant

I was looking at the reef octopus diablo for my protein skimmer...is it good? Would it be good enough for a 150 gallon? Here is a link

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...kimmers-Reef_Octopus-CV12054-FIPSISNW-vi.html

As far as stock I want to have a school of yellow tangs, some gobies, two pairs of clowns, mandarin pair, another species of tang, possibly a couple blennys, cuc, shrimp, some btas, all corals, and a school of Banggai cardinals

If you had the money, I'd say you should go with a ecotech vortech pump. Since you don't I'd recommend koralia or tunze powerheads. I don't think a school of tangs would work as in 5 or 6. That is way too many tangs for a 150. Some people say 1 tang is good for that size, some say 2. A school of Banggai cardinals are aggressive, at least that's what I've read. They are labeled semi-aggressive anyway, but are nocturnal and supposedly don't move much. I think the skimmer would work. Double the size of your tank is best, but it looks pretty massive and the brand is high quality/reliable so I'd say it would be good enough.

Ya I think your overestimating the size as well. A school of the same species of tang in a 150 is a recipe for disaster. I have a 150 also. Also, 4 clowns won't work. Only one pair.

Yea I know not 5 or 6 tangs I prob get two yellow tangs and the tank is longer than 6 feet...I am pretty sure I could keep two pairs of clowns it's a ATM tank that custom built its not a average 150. As far as powerheads I am going to get a mp60 and see how that does I believe one mp60 would be good enough for the tank and if not ill buy another mp40

Bangaii cardinals are really only semi-aggressive with other bangaii, and that's only if they're in a large group. I have 2 and they do fine, no fighting at all. And bangaii aren't a really active swimmers, but are definitely out and visible all day long. I think they're pretty cool fish.
I'd say add a small group of 3 or 4 and you should be fine. Yeah, school of tangs won't work in there.

As far as the two pair of clowns, it might work for a little while, but at some point the more dominant pair probably will get tired of sharing their tank with the other pair and will attack and kill them. Clowns are very cute, but they are damsels after all.

Back
Top Bottom