150 gallon. Reseal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trigger_Happy814

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a 150 gallon off Craigslist. After taking it home I noticed the corners were like resealed by caulking!! I asked LFS and they said it may be toxic to fish!! My question is, how hard is it to peel old caulking and reseal with proper aquarium sealant. Also will there still be traces of the toxins after tank is resealed and tank cycles?

Look up reseal aquarium. There are YouTube videos. Looks pretty straight forward and easy to do. As long as you get it all out you should be fine chemical/toxin wise.

Thanx for the info! I'm sure there's not a video on the exact issue, but its worth a look! I just don't want this tank to go to waste!! 150 gallon tank and stand for $200!! What ever I can do to fix this if it is fixable! But thanx again for input!

You should be able to run a razor (you will need several fresh blades) to get it off. Then for any residue use a diluted acetone with a rag. There are good YouTube videos of people doing it. Also, silicone comes in colors not just clear.

Remove all the old silicone with a couple of razor blades pretty easy. Go over the area once it's remove a couple more times just to get any thin piece you might have missed. Wipe down with some rubbing alcohol to get it clean. Use some blue tape to tape off the area of the seal that will give you straight lines. Once you run the bead of silicone smooth it out with a grout tool ( piece of rubber with the corner cut off) or your finger go over it once don't keep going over it. Take the tape off after you smooth the bead. I do the bottom first that gives me a little practice before I hit the sides which is seen. Once it hardens you can trim any excess.Buy the silicone from the lfs they sell it in a caulk gun size then your not wondering is this safe for fish/reef only a couple bucks more.

Back
Top Bottom