150 Gallon Setup Questions - Would greatly appreciate your input!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lxa4christ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My wife and I have been doing a lot of reading and have decided that we want to setup a SW tank at our new home. We have decided on a 120-150 gallon size and came across the following setup online:

150 Gallon Salt Water Aquarium

It appears to be a decent setup and we know that there will probably be some things that we will want to add as we go along. I know for a fact that we will be starting over with the fish so I am not as curious about that angle. I am interested on any feedback regarding this setup (especially concerning the tank not being drilled and whether that is good or bad and any information you have about the eclipse system added for extra filtration) but really have several questions to ask.....

1) When I go pickup this tank, I am going to put all the livestock in a bin with some water from the tank. How long will the livestock last in this bin without filtration, etc? Any input on transporting the livestock would be greatly appreciated.

2) Also going into bins will be the live rock and I have the same question. How long do I have before the live rock will start to die and cause me problems in the "new" tank? Again, any input on transporting the live rock will be appreciated.

3) How much of the 150 gallons of water should I plan to move in order to keep the "cycle" intact once I set everything up at my place. I plan to wait to add some fish until the tank is setup and really ready for them, but I don't want to risk losing the live rock and corals.

I know that I will probably have more questions as I go along and this seems to be a great resource for information.

Thanks for reading and I would love to hear any suggestions or tips for transporting and setting up this tank in my home. I really do want to do things right and am open to your input.

Trey

Ok I can share some of my experience with you as i moved a 75 gallon about 6 mos ago. One question, how far are you going to be traveling? 1) the fish should be fine in a tub (with a lid that seals or can be taped down) for transport. Once you get the tank home. i would put a heater in the tub. 2) I would get a seperate tub for the corals/live rock with corals and put a power head and heater in that tub too. 3) AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE YOU MOVE, mix up or buy more saltwater than you think you will need. I kept approximatly half of my water but yours is twice the size of mine so that may not be feasable. BUT you do not have to keep anymore water than it takes to transport the fish and to cover the liverock and corals. The beneficial bacteria is in the live rock NOT the water. But you will have to drip acclimate the fish to the new tank water. 4) your live rock should be fine for at least a day, but it will need some light source for any coraline algea or corals you have on it, if you plan on leaving it in the tub longer than that. 5) Start as early as the seller will let you get it, its going to be a LONG day and I may not have to tell you but you are going to need some lifting help! (I had lots of help to load and just me and the GF to unload it was rough) Make sure you have a GOOD power strip/surge protector if they do not give you one with it. try to get everything ready that you possibly can the night before! Oh and get a test kit if they dont give you one with it your going to need it. And watch the hippo tang, they stress easy! Hopefully someone else can throw in some help and maybe correct anything i missed. OH YEA unplug the heater BEFORE you start emptying the water. that was an 50 dollar mistake.

oh and we here on AA LOVE pictures. try to take some pictures of your progress and post em.

3) How much of the 150 gallons of water should I plan to move in order to keep the "cycle" intact once I set everything up at my place.

There is no beneficial bacteria in the water. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces like your LR and tank glass and equipment. Your LR is the main thing to keep your cycle "intact". Saying that I would stiil use as much of the original water as possible because it wont be as caustic as freshly made SW. BTW welcome to AA.

Back
Top Bottom