Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
150 Gallon Tank

i'm looking into buying a 150g tank to be used as a fowlr and eventually a reef. i have 2 20 gallon SW tanks right now but the fish i have in them are going to outgrowing them in the next six months or so.

my question is would it be more convenient to have the tank just drilled or get the all-glass mega-flo system with the built in over flow boxes?

also i plan on building my own stand.. the stands that they make for them arren't high enough and their prices are too high so i was wondering if there are any good places to find plans for stand building... thanks

wade_vv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Check out the DIY forums both here and at reefcentral.com. There are plenty of projects people have done to give you tons of ideas for stands or anything else.

As far as the overflow goes it is really up to you. The advantages of having the mega-flow system is it is all inside your tank which may allow you to keep the tank a little closer to the wall. If you take a regular tank and drill the back glass that gives you more room in the tank but usually you have to keep the tank a little further out due to the plumbing.
Another thing to consider is if you want to have it drilled for a closed loop system to keep power heads out of the display tank.

Hope that helps.

| Oceanic 70g RR| 1x96watt PC Lighting | 65lbs liverock | 2-4" DSB | Coralife CS125 Skimmer | 29g sump/fuge |
| 10g QT | 15watt light | Proquatics power filter | MaxiJet 900 PH |
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey thanks for the quick replay

explain this closed loop system thing to me...
wade_vv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to krzykat
Closed Loop

This is how to get the extra flow. I have been researching it, but haven't done it myself yet. Still getting everything together for my 220

I plan to do this and have it "hanging on the back of my tank" and make the outlets adjustable so I can point them wherever I want. I saw a JEBO 5600 pump rated at 1320 GPH that I'm thinking would be a good fit. How's that sound?
krzykat is offline   Reply With Quote

150 gallon, 50 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com