Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

When it comes to saltwater tanks patients is a virtue. Don't rush trying to get your cycle down quickly. Does the tank come with a subtank? If you do have a subtank it will be a great place to add moss (it only needs basic fluorescent lights to grow). Your pH will rise once your nitrates are down (they kind of go hand in hand).

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
I'd use the same sand and rock. Fill with new saltwater. Dose ammonia to 4ppm and see if it goes away in 24 hours. If it does and you're cycled; you can figure out what to do then.
I picked up the API test kit and the levels were all high on all three Nitrogen tests, and the pH is somewhat low but still on the basic side of things. I think that the above option might be a good one. I'm not opposed to completely restarting it, but if it just needs a little help, I'd rather do that then reinvent the wheel. Because I still have levels of each of the different N products, I'm assuming that there is still some good bacteria, but obviously not enough. I'll post an update after I get the water changed and dose it with the ammonia. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've done a major water change with help from my new RO/DI system and it started cycling immediately. I dosed it with ammonia up to 4ppm, and would go through that in about 12 hours and return to zero. I still have some nitrites and nitrates hanging around. I'm thinking of pulling out the bio-balls from my sump and leaving the LR in there. I also have a DSB so I'm hoping it will start ridding the N's soon. I've been doing PWC to try to keep up with it. Thanks for all the help on turning this ship around!

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com