150g in-wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJT

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first build thread. Feedback would be appreciated.

I bought a 150g 6ft 18in wide 29in tall tank dual overflow from a local reefer. Price was too good to pass. So I decided to sell the 110g in the kitchen to fund this project. The 150g is going in the wall down in the basement.

The hole is made, outlets are put up and stand is built.

Here is what I have now. I know I have to get an ato but that can wait until they go on sale.

55g sump
ASM G3 skimmer with Sicce pump
Titan 5 return pump (1350gph)
Apex Aquacontroller (Ordering this black friday)
2 Vortech MPW ES
2 Lumen Elite pendants
1 250w MH pendant
3 EVO Ballast
3 Panorama blue LED strips
2 DIY LED strips for dawn/dusk

The sump has 4 sections 1. inflow with rubble rock, poly fiber and purigen 2. Skimmer 3. refugium and 4. return pump area

Planning on getting an Avast ATO because it can speak directly to the Apex.

Lights are not hung up yet and the front access area needs some paint but I have started to cycle the tank.

I sold my 110g too soon though, now I have to cycle this tank with only power heads and some live rock/sand. All of my fish are in my 65g hexagon tank temporarily.

My current livestock list:

Powder brown tang
Swallowtail Angel
Melaranus wrasse pair
Black and white clown pair
Yellow tail damsel
Flame angel pair

Attachments

• Boost 2  111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 028.jpg
    Boost 2 111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 028.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Boost 2  111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 034.jpg
    Boost 2 111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 034.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Boost 2  111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 027.jpg
    Boost 2 111611 Mad Rai and Tank in progress 027.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Boost 112011 2 006.jpg
    Boost 112011 2 006.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 176
Here is a pic of the temporary tank everyone is in. I'm surprised all of the fish seem so happy and stress free in this size tank.

Also, a pic of the tank that is cycling. The aquascaping is not done yet. I just dumped some rocks in it.

Getting the trim fixed later on today or tomorrow. The latches for the front access are not even.

Attachments

• Boost 11222011 005.jpg
    Boost 11222011 005.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 136
  • Boost 11222011 010.jpg
    Boost 11222011 010.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 132
The new tank looks great! I wish i could do something similar in my house but it's just not in the cards. lol

Is that a blue background you have there? Did you paint it or just use the insta background? Asking cause i wanted to paint my new drilled 90 and was wondering how the contrast would be with the black overflows. :)

It's not painted yet the camera somehow made it look like it has a background in it. I am ordering a background soon. Either blue or maybe green. I had black before with black sand. I think that looked good. But I wanted something different this time. So I got tan sand. Most likely will get a blue background since this is in the basement I want a nice bright background. I did find some sticky backgrounds on ebay real cheap.

I am thinking the blue would make the overflows pop out more.

The new tank looks great! I wish i could do something similar in my house but it's just not in the cards. lol

Is that a blue background you have there? Did you paint it or just use the insta background? Asking cause i wanted to paint my new drilled 90 and was wondering how the contrast would be with the black overflows. :)

The main reason this is getting done in my house is the original tank was in the kitchen. My wife didn't complain but I know she wanted her kitchen. The other reason is that I got this tank sooo cheap. The guy even delivered it.

Well it all worked out then! the mrs. gets her kitchen back and you get an awesome tank! lol

She is so happy about it she is paying for half of the Apex controller I am getting. I'm hoping this isn't my Christmas present but I'm sure it is.

LOL. Nice. I've just started to seriously look at controllers too but i doubt I can get it as an xmas present. Lucky man!

Which controller do you like best? I found the apex for 432 at tbaquatics.com after a 5% new customer discount.

Great price. I do like its 2 year warranty instead of apex 1 year. And its support blog on its website.

Any particular reason you like them so much?

Well, for what it comes with for the price is the number one reason. It has the ph and temperature probes included. It also is way expandable. I was looking at adding the pod moonlighting since i have no moonlights on my big tank. You can also program the controller on the web instead of just on the device. I also like the clean look of it as well. I read all the user manuals for most of the controllers out there and the reefkeeper seems the easiest to use.

That is a great research tip-read the manuals. Thank you Carey I owe you one.

I am such a nerd I am looking forward to reading an instruction manual!!

This is a simple setup manual. Having the actual manual is VERY helpful. Even the ATO is a cheap addition with this system $25 plus a cheap pump. This is something Apex doesn't offer

:-D I wouldn't steer anyone to anything I wouldnt buy myself. lol It seems like a very good controller and like I said there are a ton of modules to expand it. I was also looking at the ATO feature. Need one really bad, so tired of topping off. hehe

It may not have been intentional but you have steered me to look deeper into the RKE. It is a great product. And its on sale on their website for 449 with net.

I'll let you know which one I decide to get.

Cool. You may get yours before I get mine so I'd love to hear from an actual person using the reefkeeper or the apex. :)

Back
Top Bottom