150gal cube is ready to be brought to life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmattingly117

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok people I just bit the billet and lucked into a pretty much plug and play used tank for a steal. 150 gallon cube with starphire glass and a ghost overflow and 60gal sump. I’m gonna need help getting this thing back together. Never ran a sump before and I have a lot to learn. This thing is 36x36x27. I’m making a new stand for it tomorrow when I get off work. It came with over 100 lbs of love rock which I have in a huge barrel with a heater and powerhead. I need to know how long that will keep before I should just cure it and consider dead. Also 60 to 70 lbs of love sand. Again how long do I have before this stuff has to be in a running system? Also came with 3 black box lights. All 165w is what I would assume. As well as a huge skimmer. I need to re-plumb from bulkhead View attachment 1at bottom of tank and set up. This thing is going to be a beast to scape. I can’t wait nor can I imagine how I’ll even do it. Excited and anxious to see how this goes. I’ll take all the help I can get! IMG_3557.jpgView attachment 1

Attachments

• IMG_20171007_124049.jpg
    IMG_20171007_124049.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 126
Just add heat and an ammonia source to the rock you have to get the cycle started while you have a stand and such to build. Will cut down on time wasted.
If the tank was an established working system, there still might be beneficial bacteria in the rock still. It will still need an ammonia source to survive. If not, it’ll need it to get started.

Either pure ammonia or cocktail shrimp are the two methods.
You can dose up to 2 ppm daily on pure ammonia.
Or you can buy a cocktail ring and toss a couple in panty hose and sit back and enjoy the shrimp ring.

Easy enough. Thank you again! Now to clarify idk how the pic of the in tank shot got uploaded but all my rock is still in a 40gal barrel with a heater and powerhead. The tank was up and running until just before I got it. He drained it and put rock in barrel.

Ok update on progress. Got tank set up and filled. Also scaped. Just too cloudy to show off the rock work. Having issues. Return seem to be too small. Then my ghost overflow that’s supposed to be dead silent is so loud it’s alarming. What am I doing wrong!? Can’t figure it out.

I did I tried all the way open to all the way shut. And everything in between. It’s maddening. It’s supposed to be a full siphon and silent. Also seems like it’s coming out way to fast. If I slow it down it fills up enough to hit the emergency. I don’t understand.

Update: after reaching the point of dropkicking my overflow [emoji23] I managed to figure it out! Running quiet and smooth! Same with sump. Skimmer is puttin in work now as well and tank is cleared up. Fora pretty blind scape job I’m happy with the outcome. The lights that it came with are basically trash. Halfway work really. It’ll work for now but I’m looking for something else. Any suggestions? Leaning towards black box for price point and results. If I went that route do you think 165 or 300. And how many?IMG_3618.jpgIMG_3619.jpgIMG_3616.jpg

Well just made a purchase. I found 2 lightly used Maxspect razor r420r 130w for 150 a piece! Should fit the tank great with good coverage and I can actually program them. Super excited! Anyone have experience with these?

Back
Top Bottom