15gals High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I'm new to the saltwater world, and I would like to start a 15gals tank of saltwater fish, I only want fish, no live coral or such! What type of stuff do I need to get to get a tank started?
Thanks

Well You would need a tank, a stand, if it is just fish a regular florecent light will do. Also you will need some sand or crushed coral for the substrate..In addition to that (ohh yes its a never ending list but very rewarding when it works) A filter .. on a 20 gallon mabye just a fluval 204 or 304 and some salt like Instant ocean.. Also you will need water tests for fish only PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia and a heater.. I would like to point out though if you are doing fish only you may want to consider a bigger tank.. There is a calculator on this site that will let you know how many inches of full grown fish you can have in there and in a 20 gallon it most likley will be around 5 so you are looking at 1 mabye 2 small fish.. When you decide this you can look on this site to see how to cycle the tank with a shrimp bought at your local grocery store or you could use damsels but it is not the perfered or humane method, also you may not want to do that if you don't want to keep them for the long term as your fish..

I may have forgotten something but that is good starting list the pros on here will be able to give you much more info..

Doan

just a few more suggestions if i may. I wouldnt recommend a fluval for a reef tank. Thats just me tho :) . You can cycle with the shrimp idea but its kinda nasty to sit there and watch a shrimp decay. Id rather go with some lr from your lfs, just a few pounds of uncured lr will start your cycle and youll at least have something to look at. Dont skimp on lighting its one of the most important things you can have for your tank. Rule of thumb is 5-8 watts/gallon depending on tank depth. Get quality test kits like salifert. Learn to diy or get a good deal on a good used skimmer (aquac, euro-reef etc). Keep water circulation around 10x the tank size. e.g. a 20 gallon should have around 200 to 250 gallons per hour moving in it. I know there's probably a lot i forgot but those are the basics. Make a plan is the most important part. Dont buy cheap or youll spend double later for quality products/fish/corals etc. good luck :)

considering he's going for a FO tank then lights are not critical. With a FO tank just get lighting that is pleasent to your eyes and brings out the colors of the fish the way you want it to. I would strongly recommend using the fishless cycle, here is an article on how to Cycle Without Fish. The fact he doesn't want LR in the tank ultimately, why waste the money on the rock just for cycling? That stuffs expensive. Water circulation also doesn't need to be AS strong as it does in a reef tank but you will need water movement, particularly near the surface to facilitate gas exchange but this is usualy accomplished with your filtering system in a FO tank.

Feel free to ask as many questions as need be :mrgreen:

BioToxin;
You scare the 15 seconds outta me there! :mrgreen: though keeping FO tank will be less requirement than a reef tank. So basically here is wat I must get (minimum requirement)

Tank/Stand/Regular Flos light
Filter (with a GPH about 150)
Heater/Thermo
Test Kits
Sand/Crush coral
Air pump? (I like to see the bubbles) :)

Let me know if I need anything else? Thanks
P.S. Also which type of fish is smallest in size when they reach adult size?

Live rock is expensive, but even for a FO I would include a few pieces, if for nothing else to create a natural environment for your fish.

Clown gobies stay small (1-2" max) and have a cute personality. They also "perch" more than they actively swim so you do not need the kind of swimming space you do for other fish. A yellowtail damsel would give you a colorful, active fish....they are blue with a bright yellow tail (duh :mrgreen: ).

By the way, anyone know an online place may sale a 15h/20xh (21_10_XX) tank? I figured the shipping is heck, but can't see to find such tank at my LFS.
Thanks

The dimentions of a 15H are what?

Is this a 15gal cube? If so i have to catution you that the surface area on that tank is very low in ratio to the capacity adn for that reason i would not avocate more than two small fish.

You could also ask your LFS if they could special order you a tank of that shape. Most stores will do it with out much of a problem since they can just lump it in with the next order they place.

fishfreek said:
The dimentions of a 15H are what?

Is this a 15gal cube? If so i have to catution you that the surface area on that tank is very low in ratio to the capacity adn for that reason i would not avocate more than two small fish.

Hi Fishfreek;
The tank is All-Glass, the 15gals tank with dime

15Gal 20x10x18 OR
20Gal 20x10x24

These will fit the stand I just built but hard to find those two tanks at my LFS :) I like the extra high tank, just give a nice view with saving little space too
Also, what type of test kit do I need for saltwater FO Tank? Beside Ammo, PH, Nitrate/nitrite, GH/KH?

Back
Top Bottom