Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha okay I'll look into them thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are different Refractometers. Some have completely different scales than what you want. Make sure it's an aquarium one, typically scaled 1.000-1.070. A smaller scaler would be better but I couldn't find one.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is the cheapest one i found and I have been using it for the last 2 years with no issues.

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just went to my LFS to browse around, and they have a refractometer that's $59.99 and its one where you put a drop of water on the tip, and look thru the meter like a telescope.. any good? Its made by syban or sybon can't remember the name exactly
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Here is the cheapest one i found and I have been using it for the last 2 years with no issues.

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay

haha thats weird, that looks like the exact one i saw at the store guess ill be buying it online instead of paying $30 more at the store
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.
yeah i heard about these filters that have the built in protein skimmer, i might look into one of these guys down the road. it says these are rated for aquariums up to 55g, it wont have too strong of a current for a 16G tank would it??
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

For skimmers, you want to get double the rating. I run a reef octopus on my 55 rated at 150 gallons.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
For skimmers, you want to get double the rating. I run a reef octopus on my 55 rated at 150 gallons.
Alright, I'll look into them down the line...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the next few days I'm going to go out and buy some equipment.. apparently at my LFS if you spend X amount of dollars you get free RO/DI

After I get the water, what else should I consider getting at this time??

Tags
bow front, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com