Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Haha okay I'll look into them thanks
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Comox, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,837
There are different Refractometers. Some have completely different scales than what you want. Make sure it's an aquarium one, typically scaled 1.000-1.070. A smaller scaler would be better but I couldn't find one.
__________________

__________________
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Here is the cheapest one i found and I have been using it for the last 2 years with no issues.

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
I just went to my LFS to browse around, and they have a refractometer that's $59.99 and its one where you put a drop of water on the tip, and look thru the meter like a telescope.. any good? Its made by syban or sybon can't remember the name exactly
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Here is the cheapest one i found and I have been using it for the last 2 years with no issues.

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay

haha thats weird, that looks like the exact one i saw at the store guess ill be buying it online instead of paying $30 more at the store
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.
yeah i heard about these filters that have the built in protein skimmer, i might look into one of these guys down the road. it says these are rated for aquariums up to 55g, it wont have too strong of a current for a 16G tank would it??
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
For skimmers, you want to get double the rating. I run a reef octopus on my 55 rated at 150 gallons.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
For skimmers, you want to get double the rating. I run a reef octopus on my 55 rated at 150 gallons.
Alright, I'll look into them down the line...
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
In the next few days I'm going to go out and buy some equipment.. apparently at my LFS if you spend X amount of dollars you get free RO/DI

After I get the water, what else should I consider getting at this time??
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bow front, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.