Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Well I think I'm just gonna end up getting the filter with the skimmer inside, I know I'm going to be spending money for this tank but I'm not tryna go all out if ya know what I mean lol
That filter will be a little bit bigger than you actually need. It may not be going all out like having a sump setup, but it isn't skimping at all. You'll have an excellent setup. Trust me. I've designed and built nearly every size reef and specialty saltwater fish systems up to a 600 gallon system with a 400 gallon refugium. That filter will be great!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

That filter will be a little bit bigger than you actually need. It may not be going all out like having a sump setup, but it isn't skimping at all. You'll have an excellent setup. Trust me. I've designed and built nearly every size reef and specialty saltwater fish systems up to a 600 gallon system with a 400 gallon refugium. That filter will be great!
Okay cool, I guess I'll go with that then in the next few days I'm gonna try to start setting everything up. Just gotta find the best spot for the tank lol

Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I think I'm going to go out and get some things today, if I get the water(RO/DI) today, should I pick up salt as well? And what kind?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok so I think I'm going to go out and get some things today, if I get the water(RO/DI) today, should I pick up salt as well? And what kind?
I read a lot about salt brands, even professional chemical analysis charts, and most comonly used salts seem to be fine for FOWLR and soft coral tanks. I like Coralife and Instant Ocean best myself. Lots of people use other brands and do just fine. Those are the only brands I have used for years, besides Tropic Marin which is over priced, so I can't speak for all the others.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I read a lot about salt brands, even professional chemical analysis charts, and most comonly used salts seem to be fine for FOWLR and soft coral tanks. I like Coralife and Instant Ocean best myself. Lots of people use other brands and do just fine. Those are the only brands I have used for years, besides Tropic Marin which is over priced, so I can't speak for all the others.
Okay I'll look for coralife and ocean best.. as far as starting out, im going to get a refractometer, water and salt, should I need anything else for now??
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

A book on saltwater tanks. Then, just the very basics like a new bucket to mix saltwater for water changes plus a tiny powerhead to get it to mix, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and alkalinity/KH test kits, sand, a fresh light bulb if yours is old, a heater if you don't have one.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A book on saltwater tanks. Then, just the very basics like a new bucket to mix saltwater for water changes plus a tiny powerhead to get it to mix, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and alkalinity/KH test kits, sand, a fresh light bulb if yours is old, a heater if you don't have one.
I have a 5 gal bucket, a powerhead for the bucket alone?? I'll get a test kit, sand I'm gonna get today hopefully, light is brand new, and I have a 50w heater(good enough?)

Oh and what brand test kit should I get? I heard API for saltwater is no good??
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I have a 5 gal bucket, a powerhead for the bucket alone?? I'll get a test kit, sand I'm gonna get today hopefully, light is brand new, and I have a 50w heater(good enough?)

Oh and what brand test kit should I get? I heard API for saltwater is no good??
You can use a powerhead from your tank to mix salt water. Lots of people do that. 50W heater should be fine. You won't know for sure until winter but it's a small tank so should work unless your house gets really cold.

We went over test kits in an earlier post in either this thread or your first one. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah haha you said Red Sea if I was using coral but API would be fine for just live rock. I think I'm going for live rock right now and I'll decide down the line if I wanna do coral
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hop on my other thread I posted in the FOWLR section, sorry about all the different threads :/

Tags
bow front, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com