Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

16G Bow Front Build!

Okay I had another post going on but that was when I was going to do a 10G tank. Since then I've purchased a 16G BF.

I'm going to clean the tank later today, but should I go to my LFS and purchase 16G of RO/DI?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
Okay I had another post going on but that was when I was going to do a 10G tank. Since then I've purchased a 16G BF.

I'm going to clean the tank later today, but should I go to my LFS and purchase 16G of RO/DI?
Definitely. Do you have the other equipment you will need for your first steps: filter, heater, powerhead, thermometer, salt, light, acrylic glass cleaner, gravel vac, etc.?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Definitely. Do you have the other equipment you will need for your first steps: filter, heater, powerhead, thermometer, salt, light, acrylic glass cleaner, gravel vac, etc.?
Well the tank came with a small hob filter, maybe a whisper 10 or 20. It came with a 50w heater. I have a thermometer, it has a light, I have a couple diff gravel Vacs so the only thing I need to get is water and salt.

How do I go about mixing them? Specific way??
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You will need to get yourself a refractometer so you can make sure you get the right salinity. They sell hydrometers...but they are bad and when I used one my salinity would fluctuate greatly. You can order them pretty cheap off of some sites and ebay.

When you get this and mix your water, you can just mix it up in the tank the first time. After that, you need to mix it in an external bucket or something and let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it is all disolved. Any salt that isn't disolved can burn fish gills and harm coral. I do a 10% water change weekly through 5 gallon buckets, though in yoru case I'd just do 2 gallons weekly.

The small whisper will probably help out, I still like HOB filters, especially biowheels, for additional filtration. Though since you already have a 10g tank along with the 16, right? I would look into turning the other 10g into a sump to give you some extra water to your system and a safe place to do water changes through since dumping water into the display can cause some havoc and be stressful.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
You will need to get yourself a refractometer so you can make sure you get the right salinity. They sell hydrometers...but they are bad and when I used one my salinity would fluctuate greatly. You can order them pretty cheap off of some sites and ebay.

When you get this and mix your water, you can just mix it up in the tank the first time. After that, you need to mix it in an external bucket or something and let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it is all disolved. Any salt that isn't disolved can burn fish gills and harm coral. I do a 10% water change weekly through 5 gallon buckets, though in yoru case I'd just do 2 gallons weekly.

The small whisper will probably help out, I still like HOB filters, especially biowheels, for additional filtration. Though since you already have a 10g tank along with the 16, right? I would look into turning the other 10g into a sump to give you some extra water to your system and a safe place to do water changes through since dumping water into the display can cause some havoc and be stressful.
Refractometer yes I read about them, I'll go out n get one asap. As far as my 10G tank goes.. that's completely empty and its just a bare tank lol and unfortunately I don't have room for a sump. So I'm goin to have to make due with a hob.. should I consider upgrading my HOB?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No clue, see how it goes I guess?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No clue, see how it goes I guess?
Okayyy.... guess I'll c how it goes whenever I set everything up.. what's the proper temp for a salt water tank?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

75-82 degrees. I run my tanks at 80, mostly because of how hot it has been and it takes me running the AC all day to keep it at that level.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
75-82 degrees. I run my tanks at 80, mostly because of how hot it has been and it takes me running the AC all day to keep it at that level.
Gotcha, ok any specific refractometer I should get or does it really matter??
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Doesnt matter to my knowledge. Id read up on them incase there are some teal junk ones out there. I got myself a digital unit so i wasnt having to look like i was looking for land on the horizon...that and im pretty lazy lol.

Tags
bow front, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com