16G Bow Front Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I had another post going on but that was when I was going to do a 10G tank. Since then I've purchased a 16G BF.

I'm going to clean the tank later today, but should I go to my LFS and purchase 16G of RO/DI?

DanS180 said:
Okay I had another post going on but that was when I was going to do a 10G tank. Since then I've purchased a 16G BF.

I'm going to clean the tank later today, but should I go to my LFS and purchase 16G of RO/DI?

Definitely. Do you have the other equipment you will need for your first steps: filter, heater, powerhead, thermometer, salt, light, acrylic glass cleaner, gravel vac, etc.?

CorallineAlgae said:
Definitely. Do you have the other equipment you will need for your first steps: filter, heater, powerhead, thermometer, salt, light, acrylic glass cleaner, gravel vac, etc.?

Well the tank came with a small hob filter, maybe a whisper 10 or 20. It came with a 50w heater. I have a thermometer, it has a light, I have a couple diff gravel Vacs so the only thing I need to get is water and salt.

How do I go about mixing them? Specific way??

You will need to get yourself a refractometer so you can make sure you get the right salinity. They sell hydrometers...but they are bad and when I used one my salinity would fluctuate greatly. You can order them pretty cheap off of some sites and ebay.

When you get this and mix your water, you can just mix it up in the tank the first time. After that, you need to mix it in an external bucket or something and let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it is all disolved. Any salt that isn't disolved can burn fish gills and harm coral. I do a 10% water change weekly through 5 gallon buckets, though in yoru case I'd just do 2 gallons weekly.

The small whisper will probably help out, I still like HOB filters, especially biowheels, for additional filtration. Though since you already have a 10g tank along with the 16, right? I would look into turning the other 10g into a sump to give you some extra water to your system and a safe place to do water changes through since dumping water into the display can cause some havoc and be stressful.

Sniperhank said:
You will need to get yourself a refractometer so you can make sure you get the right salinity. They sell hydrometers...but they are bad and when I used one my salinity would fluctuate greatly. You can order them pretty cheap off of some sites and ebay.

When you get this and mix your water, you can just mix it up in the tank the first time. After that, you need to mix it in an external bucket or something and let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it is all disolved. Any salt that isn't disolved can burn fish gills and harm coral. I do a 10% water change weekly through 5 gallon buckets, though in yoru case I'd just do 2 gallons weekly.

The small whisper will probably help out, I still like HOB filters, especially biowheels, for additional filtration. Though since you already have a 10g tank along with the 16, right? I would look into turning the other 10g into a sump to give you some extra water to your system and a safe place to do water changes through since dumping water into the display can cause some havoc and be stressful.

Refractometer yes I read about them, I'll go out n get one asap. As far as my 10G tank goes.. that's completely empty and its just a bare tank lol and unfortunately I don't have room for a sump. So I'm goin to have to make due with a hob.. should I consider upgrading my HOB?

Sniperhank said:
No clue, see how it goes I guess?

Okayyy.... guess I'll c how it goes whenever I set everything up.. what's the proper temp for a salt water tank?

Sniperhank said:
75-82 degrees. I run my tanks at 80, mostly because of how hot it has been and it takes me running the AC all day to keep it at that level.

Gotcha, ok any specific refractometer I should get or does it really matter??

Doesnt matter to my knowledge. Id read up on them incase there are some teal junk ones out there. I got myself a digital unit so i wasnt having to look like i was looking for land on the horizon...that and im pretty lazy lol.

There are different Refractometers. Some have completely different scales than what you want. Make sure it's an aquarium one, typically scaled 1.000-1.070. A smaller scaler would be better but I couldn't find one.

I just went to my LFS to browse around, and they have a refractometer that's $59.99 and its one where you put a drop of water on the tip, and look thru the meter like a telescope.. any good? Its made by syban or sybon can't remember the name exactly

If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.

If you want to upgrade your HOB filter to something made for a saltwater tank I would go with a Skilter 250. It's very similar to regular HOB filters except it has a small protein skimmer built into it. I use an air pump and airstone to run the skimmer and it works shockingly well for these size tanks. Believe me, I ran one on a 10 gallon for years without a single issue and it took out loads of muck that will stay in your water with any other HOB filter. Check them out. You can always upgrade to it later. You can run it with the built in venturi but it's noisy. The airstone makes it preform much better and run as quiet as any other HOB filter.

yeah i heard about these filters that have the built in protein skimmer, i might look into one of these guys down the road. it says these are rated for aquariums up to 55g, it wont have too strong of a current for a 16G tank would it??

Sniperhank said:
For skimmers, you want to get double the rating. I run a reef octopus on my 55 rated at 150 gallons.

Alright, I'll look into them down the line...

In the next few days I'm going to go out and buy some equipment.. apparently at my LFS if you spend X amount of dollars you get free RO/DI :)

After I get the water, what else should I consider getting at this time??

Back
Top Bottom