180 gal switch from fw to sw??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
K I have an 180 g tank right now filled with cichlids a crappy home depot light and a sump underneath. What I would like to know is what equipment would i need to do a salt water fowlr set up? I'm guessing a new better light live sand and live rock but what else?

If you don't want a reef right now you could just buy a new bulb for like $8-10 if it's T-8 you have, 10,000K-20,000k.

A skimmer is a must on a system that big.

And power heads are needed. I would shoot for 30x-50x total circulation between them and the return pump. However a fowler only needs about 10x but reefs run with 30x-50x flow and that much flow will help keep your tank cleaner.

You could also buy half live rock and half dry rock to save money

What do you have for mechanical and biological filtration in the sump?

You do not need to change substrate unless you want something different. Depending on your current biological filtration, you also might not need live rocks.

Look into growing macroalgae in your sump.

Just something to think about...

I know a person that had a large freshwater tank and he treated it with copper once and forgot he had done so when he switched over to salt and had trouble keeping corals.

I know most people have a QT for copper treatments but just thought I would mention it just in case.

For my filtration all I have is bio balls in the sump. Mechanical and biological filtration confuse me still If you guys could break down those two terms

Biological is what you have. It uses natural things like bacteria to help with water quality. Mechanical are things like sponges socks etc.

If you clean a different area of the bioballs weekly, then you shouldn't need live rocks if you see no difference in FOWLR and FO systems. Again no need to change substrate unless you want something a new look; however, sand is preferred for easier maintenance.

Just buy a skimmer and consider macroaglae refugium. If your sump already have baffles in place, then you have to buy a skimmer that fit your sump or rebuild the sump around the skimmer of your choice.

Flowrate
@10x- 1800 gph
@15x- 2700 gph
@30x- 5400 gph
Keep in mind this is total flowrate ( powerheads plus return filtration pumps) you could just about hit 5400 with a mag24 and 2 koralia 1400's.. Not hard

As for skimmers, youll need a pretty decent sized one. (spring for the cone skimmers if possible)

Id recommend using live rock (even if you buy some base rock and seed it) going this route will allow you to take full advantage of your tank size without having an overly excessive filtration system.

Lights- doesnt matter what you use if youre not doing corals ( if you are, look to t5ho or leds)

Sump- run macroalgae ( chaeto or caulerpa)

Here's a pic if my sump think it will be sufficient for sw ?

Attachments

• image-2724280812.jpg
    image-2724280812.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 64
Here's my sump you think it's sufficient for sw

Attachments

• image-2100363148.jpg
    image-2100363148.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 66
You may have to split your return chamber in two so you can house the protein skinmer, dont want the skimmer sitting in the same chamber due to microbubbles

What do you guys think of this light for fowlr

Attachments

• image-545706594.jpg
    image-545706594.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 57
Badambomb79 said:
What do you guys think of this light for fowlr

Id be careful ordering light fixtures on ebay and the such. Research the individual company thoroughly and make sure they have good customer service and sales. Its way too easy to get burt buying fixtures from those sites.

If you have a canopy you could retro fit t-5ho in there with space in between to add reef power lighting (more or LED panels) later.

This is the description of the light

Attachments

• image-1262143959.jpg
    image-1262143959.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom