180 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading on here for a while now, but this is my first post.

I should be getting my new 180 gal reef ready delivered in the next few days and just want to run a few questions by everyone here. Mainly I'm curious how long I should expect the tank to cycle if my live rock is already cured (some out of my old 75 gal and some I've had in totes with power head and heater for the last 2-4 weeks from my lfs).

Hello, welcome to the forums!

I set up my first sw tank not too long ago. I used LR from someones display case and dosed with ammonia as well and I finished my cycle in about a week. I had some light die off but not too much. I think I got lucky with my rock quality lol.

But wither way glad to have you and if you have any questions just ask, the people here are super friendly and give great advice.

Great! That's what my LFS told me too, but wanted to see if that sounded right. We currently have a 75 gallon, and I know I made plenty of mistakes when I first started that tank (like cycling with damsels and buying a flasher wrasse without a lid). I now have a new LFS who actually cares and is knowledgeable. I have certainly taken it upon myself to read up and educate myself as well.

Recently upgraded from a 30 to a 75. I used the LR I already had plus got more from my LFS. I brought it home in buckets with RO salt water. So I had no die off. My tank has been up now for over a month with my soft corals, anemones, shrip, crabs, and 3 fish. It cycled in a week and with only trace amounts of ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate. I had no idea what to expect and was thinking it was it was going to go through a bad cycle but it didn't. Good luck!

thats exactly what i did when when i had a 55G then upgraded to a 180G a couple years ago moving the established rock from the old aquarium to new aquarium really helps with the cycle process

Back
Top Bottom