180 gallon stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will soon be converting my 75 gallon reef into a 180 gallon and would like to get some opinions here about possible stocking options. I'll start by listing what I have, followed by what I consider must haves for this tank.

Already have:
1 sailfin tang
1 blue spotted goby
1 scooter blenny
1 black combtooth blenny
1 solaris wrasse
1 mystery wrasse
1 royal gramma basslet
1 sunburst anthias

Things I really want:
Flasher wrasse harem (probably McCroskers) 1 M 3-4 F

Clowns: possibly 2 Picasso or snowflake
2 black percs

Other options: a couple of fairy wrasse. Possibly a scotts fairy or lubbocks

Another tang of some sort under 12" full grown. Possibly powder brown?

Or another goby of se sorts

What do you think?

Will the sailfin even get along with another tang? I've read different things on that.

it's up to the individual fish. you'll have to take a chance adding one and see. is the scooter eating prepared foods? if not, i would skip the wrasses they will decimate the pod population and the scooter will starve.
i've had good luck with purple tangs, maculiceps tangs, yellows...

Do you think a powder blue tang would work well with this mix. Do you suggest we try adding the tangs at the same time to reduce aggression, or will that be less in a tank this size? I'm worried that the conversion will happen before I could find one and go through a QT with it. I've never had a QT tank before but will be starting one after this conversion.

in my experience, i have found powder blue tangs to be super nasty as they mature. it might work out ok for you, but all of the ones i have kept have turned out to be mistakes. if you are close to me (19301), i'll give you a powder blue for free. all you have to do is help me catch him.
do yourself a favor- if you want blue in the tank, either do a regal or a purple.

Luckily I came across this, I was asking about powder blues on my 220 build thread, now I have the answer. Thanks once again Mr x.

RandJ said:
This is why we are now onto getting a purple. Maybe.

I've got a powder brown tang n yellow tang which seem to get along very well.. They were added to the tank together

Back
Top Bottom