180G reef build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put the base rock in there, then move 40 lbs of your live rock over to the 180. That will leave you enough rock in the 55 until you complete the cycle. After the cycle move the rest of the rock and livestock over.

It worked well when I moved my 35 gallon into the 65. Keep us posted on things.

k will do i get most of my stuff next week just gotta place the order for base rock etc im really trying to take my time with this aquascaing this time so im gonna try to get some aquarium safe epoxy or putty to do it the way i want

I had minor if not any cycles when I moved tanks. I plan on doing the move I one day hopefully. I might just move the rock over the the livestock the next day or so.

so let me ask you if i did move everything over and leave the fish in the 55G would they go crazy with no rocks for a day or 2

I would worry because you don't know how long the cycle will take. I mean, a 55 to 180 is a massive size difference. Even if you put all the live rock in, the tank could take a week or two, and your leaving your live stock with no natural biological filter.

you could always put a bunch of filter sponges into your system to build up a biological filter while you wait. That way, you can remove some LR and still have bacteria on other stuff.

I would fill the new display first leave it for a couple days... if everything is 0 it means it is still sterile. You should be able to move everything and the fish as the bacteria that supports that bio load will be the same, just there will be more surface area in the future for bacteria. (I would also add a bottle of bacteria when doing the change over)

Just a little update I just got a call from my wife and i got my Nova extreme pro light, reef octopus skimmer and prebuilt sump today will have pictures when i get home from work hopefully also my overflow and pumps/powerheads come tomorrow

ordered 100 lbs of base rock now all i need is the sand i will get that locally gonna get another 60 lbs of LR end of this week or beginning of next week will start with this if i need more i will order more baserock just wanna see how it looks before i order a whole bunch of rock

heres the lights testing them out lol

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom