180G reef build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i got the new tank today had to pay someone with a truck to get it for me i will post pictures later (cameras out of batteries) so i'll be updating this thread periodically with new info so for starters is t5 still a good fixture for a tank this big or do i need a mh/t5 combo this is the fixture im looking at currently, i have some corals i have now and i want to transfer them over to the new tank when its finished cycling, right now on the 55G i have a nova extreme pro t5 6x bulb fixture so i want the light to be comparable on the 180 because the corals are doing great under this lighting

Nova Extreme Pro HO T5 | Fixtures | PetSolutions

That nova extreme pro is the top of the line. I've been researching it to death for my new 125g. :) I think the only step up is MH and that's kinda $$ but your call.

well i really dont want MH but i was just making sure the T5 wouldnt be a problem because of the tank being so much bigger

I'm trying to scrape the money together to get one used from a guy for $300. I have like 3 days or he is selling to another guy. :-(

The cheapest I've seen it is $583. Not sure about eBay but with that kind of money I'd prefer to go through a bigger seller.

I know! I've just listed my 29g and a bunch of hoods and lights in the hopes I can get the $300 together. The guy wouldn't take the trade like I thought he would, he knew exactly what they were LOL

Thanks yea its gonna be fun im gonna slowly start ordering stuff over the next week or two and im gonna set it up and put the live rock and sand etc in 2-3 weeks from now after the kids get out of school for summer

in the 55G right now i have 90lbs of lr if i put that lr in the new tank and add maybe another 70 lbs of dry live rock and maybe another 30-40 lbs or more of lr and new sand of course would i experience a cycle? or would it be better to just cycle the dry live rock and lr in the new tank wait for it to cycle then add the lr from the old aquarium

I feel ya, I think my 220 may make it in 4 weeks. I called the LFS today, seems highly likely. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas, I'm sure that is how you are now waiting for all the goodies to come in the mail. So you are going with T-5 lights? I am debating it myself, I just don't know if the NOVA pro series will get enough light in a 30" tank, yours is 24" so I don't think you would have any issues. Do you have anything in mind for your sump/fuge/skimmer yet?

I would leave the old aquarium in tact until your new tank is cycled. Adding all of your livestock to the new tank at the same time you move the live rock over. To me that seems safest.

i havent even got an idea yet over the next weekend or 2 im gonna sit down and figure out how im gonna turn this 55G into a sump and for a skimmer i know im getting an insump reef octopus

Yea i think i read somewhere i could be wrong so dont quote me that T5 loses its effectiveness at a certain depth it could be 30" so i think i might be good with t5 since its only 24" deep

I found a used Nova pro series for a 6 foot tank for 250 in tampa, I haggled the guy. I am waiting until I verify it will provide adequate lighting before I go pick it up.

Yeah, but I am having a hard time verifying that the lighting would be sufficient in a 30 inch tank. This is killing me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom