180g upgrade with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I'm upgrading my 75g reef. It's currently cycling. A question occured to me today and thought maybe the good folks here could answer it... Since this is basically a brand new tank, how will my anemones react? Ive heard they are only for mature tanks... My 75g is very mature. I'm really worried about the transfer! Here is a picture of my progress so far with temporary lighting. Still working on arranging the rocks. The sump will also be a display tank. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131204_161551.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_161551.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 85
Hello! I'm upgrading my 75g reef. It's currently cycling. A question occured to me today and thought maybe the good folks here could answer it... Since this is basically a brand new tank, how will my anemones react? Ive heard they are only for mature tanks... My 75g is very mature. I'm really worried about the transfer! Here is a picture of my progress so far with temporary lighting. Still working on arranging the rocks. The sump will also be a display tank. Thanks for the help!

Just realized that pic is sorta worthless! Here are better ones :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131204_172705.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172705.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172715.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172715.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172725.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172725.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172732.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172732.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172741.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172741.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172756.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172756.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20131204_172808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131204_172808.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 78
I would test the water for a week or so to make sure you don't have a spike, and then you can add whatever you want if everything goes well. What are those skimmers? A 4" octo and an aquamedic turbofloater? If so, you might want to start looking into an upgrade.

I would test the water for a week or so to make sure you don't have a spike, and then you can add whatever you want if everything goes well. What are those skimmers? A 4" octo and an aquamedic turbofloater? If so, you might want to start looking into an upgrade.

Thanks so much Mr_X! My params are ammo .50 trite 0 trates 80 ph 8.4 so I definitly plan on waiting till it evens out a bit more. The skimmers are a reef octopus nwb200 & Red Sea Berlin. I plan on upgrading the Red Sea but planned on keeping the octopus. So do you feel after params check out the nems will be ok? They are what I'm most worried about....

reef octopus, bubble magus, vertex, SNW ( i think thats it). there are a few others that are decent skimmers, youd prob be doing yourself a favor if you sold/tossed both old skimmers in favor of a bigger single skimmer, one collection cup, one pump, one skimmer to adjust... simpler than running two of everything

reef octopus, bubble magus, vertex, SNW ( i think thats it). there are a few others that are decent skimmers, youd prob be doing yourself a favor if you sold/tossed both old skimmers in favor of a bigger single skimmer, one collection cup, one pump, one skimmer to adjust... simpler than running two of everything

Thanks Huma-Huma! The Reef Octopus is brand new, the Berlin is quite used tho, that's why I plan the upgrade. That's kinda a bummer since I just paid $300 for that one lol

There will be 2 puffers housed in this tank ( a Porcupine in the main and a GSP in the sump) so I know I need to overskim. My original plan was a 150 with a 55g sump so that's why I purchased the reef octopus to supplement the Berlin, but instead I went with the 180g with a 99g sump.

Last edited:
nvm. manuf. rated 250g BRS rated 160..
i dont see why that skimmer alone couldnt handle the task

ugh i get threads confused ALL the time. thought this was a 125. still though R.O. are good skimmers. i still think it should handle the job nicely. may need to possibly look into a bigger skimmer when the fish are full-grown, but thats years down the road.

ugh i get threads confused ALL the time. thought this was a 125. still though R.O. are good skimmers. i still think it should handle the job nicely. may need to possibly look into a bigger skimmer when the fish are full-grown, but thats years down the road.

Thanks a million! Yes my porcupine is only about 4 & 3/4 big and my GSP is only 2 1/2 :) really appreciate that you took the time to give me your 2 cents :D

Last edited:
Thanks so much Mr_X! My params are ammo .50 trite 0 trates 80 ph 8.4 so I definitly plan on waiting till it evens out a bit more. The skimmers are a reef octopus nwb200 & Red Sea Berlin. I plan on upgrading the Red Sea but planned on keeping the octopus. So do you feel after params check out the nems will be ok? They are what I'm most worried about....
Yes, I believe they will be fine once the spike is over. I wouldn't add anything to the tank while you have ammonia or nitrite present.

Yes, I believe they will be fine once the spike is over. I wouldn't add anything to the tank while you have ammonia or nitrite present.

Oh yea, planned on waiting until everything is zero & trates are down to 40, thank you so much! I was worrying about them bigtime! I've had a rock nem for 2 1/2 years now that is my absolute favorite anemone, I'd be really upset if something happened to it!

I would want my nitrates much lower than that for anemones. That would be considered high for a reef tank.

I would want my nitrates much lower than that for anemones. That would be considered high for a reef tank.

Ok! Mine are at 20 now in the current set up, I just thought if they were on they're way down it would be ok, but I will wait :)

Back
Top Bottom