180gallon stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the next couple of months I will be buying atleast a 180 gallon reef tank. It will probably be open top. All the fish will be bought small. Also what order would you add these in. They will be in a reef. Not sure if I will put my shrimp in there yet.

2 occelaris clownfish*
1 hippo tang*
1 sailfin tang*
1 blond naso tang
2 yellow tangs
2 blue throat triggers (1 male 1 female)
1 stripped sleeper goby*
1 lawnmower blenny*
1 red coris wrasse*
4-5 square back anthias
6 blue/green reef chroms
1-2 copperbanded butterflies
1-2 moorish idols
1 long nose hawkish
1 one spot foxface
2 spotbreast angelfish (1 male 1 female)
3-4 baggai cardinals or pajama cardinals
3-4 stripped cardinals
1 blue or red mandarin.

* indicates that I already have the fish and they are living in a reef tank with cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, crabs, anemones, starfish, corals and other things.

I have no experience stocking tanks this large, but that list seems like WAY too
Many fish for a 180. Hopefully someone else chimes in. Also, the hawkfish is not invert safe soo either cut that from the list or inverts. Your call

I am undecided on the mandarin, copperband and moorish idols.

Way overstocked list buddy.

Also all those fish will not be compatible, you almost have every family covered.

If I got a tank big enough for all these what order would u add then in.

Schism said:
Yeah easily 300+.

Ya that sounds very similar to a tank I seen from a vortec distributor I know and it was a 500 gallon :/

Edit* that tank is 8'x4'x2'+ to give you an idea

I have decided against the following fish:
Mandarin goby
The 2 moorish idols
The 2 copperband butterflies
The stripped sleeper goby

Not sure about
The one spot foxface
The longnose hawkish

I may also decide to add a pair of Maroon clowns and a carpet anemone for then.

You are still horribly overstocked, dont add the pair of clowns if you already have a pair Imo. Eliminating the butterflys and the idols really doesnt change much, you need to ex of more. Get rid of the triggers, angelfish, and 1 yellow tang and 1 differant tang and thats a start. Also, too many nano fish in there...

I have also decided against the pair of blue throat triggers as they may eat my shrimp which cost more than them.

Okay thats a start, but you have to keep going. Instead of having pairs of fish can you just get one? I know you want 2 yellow tangs and 2 angels etc.

New list:
2 occelaris clownfish*
1 hippo tang*
1 sailfin tang*
1 blond naso tang
2 yellow tangs
1 lawnmower blenny*
1 red coris wrasse*
4-5 square back anthias
6 blue/green reef chromis
1 one spot foxface
2 spotbreast angelfish (1 male 1 female)
3-4 baggai cardinals or pajama cardinals
3-4 stripped cardinals
2 maroon clowns.

* indicates that I already have the fish and they are living in a reef tank with cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, crabs, anemones, starfish, corals and other things.

Like i said before, you have multiples if fish and you really dont need that. You still need to eliminate fish, take off 1 yellow tang, take off 1 angel (who cares about male/female ratio?!) take off a few nano fish, get rid of one pair of clowns (could fight) eliminate another tang because 5 is too many. I have said this many times but your list stays the same

If I were you I would scratch the whole school of chromis. Mine were nippy towards polyps and pretty aggressive compared to what I've heard of them. This would free up a decent bit of bio load and your not really losing anything special. I would also scratch the new pair of clowns and pick between the Naso or the 2 yellows. That would give you a tank imo that could be managed fairly easy if setup correctly

Which fish on my list would u consider nano fish besides the chromis.

Shouldn't but Nu-nu is the guy to talk to on fox faces ;) lol

Back
Top Bottom