Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

18g tall fowlr build

As some of you may know, i was recently given a mated pair of clowns, and salt to starts a nano sw tank. The clowns are doing great but are only in a 10g right now. Their permanent home will be an 18 tall, but first i have to reseal it as the previous owners had resealed it and i dont know it it was tank safe sealant or if there are any toxins lurking in the silicone so im just gonna redo it. In this thread i will be chronicling my new adventure into the world of sw!!! I have also been given by a different person about 20 lb of lr, 2 turbo snails, a bunch of micro brittle and astarina stars and am getting a cleaner shrimp from them. Once my tank is better established i will also be getting an emerald crab, maybe 2... sorry for the long winded post but wanted to make sure i included all the info. Will post about filtration and stuff later as its time to head to work now...

Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So today im starting the project of stripping and resealing the 18 tall. Also the specifics of the filter and such. Filter is a marineland penguin 200. Will prob buy a small skimmer as the project progresses if anyone has recomendations feel free to give them as this is all new and kinda confusing... tank is heated, and just has stock lights right now. For anyone who hasnt heard of an 18 tall, they have the same footprint as a 10, but are 21.5 inches tall so ill be able to do a nice deep sand bed and still leave them a bunch of swimming space.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got the 18 stripped and resealed, now to lug it to the bathtub and test it. Ill post pics in a few... on a side note, i fed the conch a silverside last night since he recently killed and tried to eat one of my turbo snails, and this morning saw a bristle worm, and proceded to pull it and 4 of its buddies off of lr. I know they can be good, but i also know they can harm reef systems and eventually i want to try reef so i removed them and they will soon be flushed.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tank before stripping, you can see how bad the seal job looked before

close up of a corner

front view

my kitten Monkey man supervising

all resealed! im glad my parents are carpenters and taught me to run a steady and neat bead of caulk!

looks much better IMO

my newly sealed corner. decidedly an improvement looks wise, just hope it holds!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is that not to small for a pair of clowns ?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

According to everyone ive asked they will be fine it it. It will literally be just them, some snails, an emerald crab or 2 and maybe a cleaner shrimp. And the male has actually been dancing for his mate so i guess they are happy fishes!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok but I know it's a min of 20g for a clown good luck.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

18 is close enough imo. Thanx!!! They are in a 10 right now as a hospital tank almost. The water they came from was nasty. 1.037 sg, and .5 ammo
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well like I said good luck but you will have to get a bigger tank for them in a few months. You will see
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Well like I said good luck but you will have to get a bigger tank for them in a few months. You will see
x2 on this, a 20g long is the min for a pair of clowns, especially a breeding pair, a 20g "high" would even be a gamble, just my $0.02 on the matter, i know yor thinking, "oh an 18g is close enough, right" no actually its not the same as a regular proportioned tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com