1st post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buc09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey to everyone!

Well lately all my friends have put this nice fish tank into their houses, and it cought my attention again. I used to have a 75 gallon tank when i was a child and i absolutely loved it. once i moved out at 19 my parents got rid of it. now i want to invest in one and get one for my house. i don't no much about the price of the filters tanks stands etc... these days but it wont be a huge problem financially... what do u guys recommend, i am 32 and will have time to take proper care of the tank, and also the main thing the patience for the tank. Thank you for any suggestions you may give. i may go with a 75 gallon or maybe a little bigger

My recomendation is to do a lot of research and then research it again. The better informed you are of this hobby from the beginning the better you will do with it. Spend a lot of time reading posts here and you will learn from others mistakes. There are people on this site that have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share it. Ask lots of questions! AS far as tanks go, I have a 72g bow front and wish it was bigger. If you can afford to get a larger tank to start with, do it! More water = easier to maintain levels. Good luck and welcome!!!!!

Dealing with the tank, fish, and all the other diferent levels in which I need to keep in order I can handle that. I had my fair share of problems and always had to fix them alone! Haha... how much does a 70-100 gallon tank go for now a days?

I like to get a lot of my dry goods at drsfosterandsmith.com, depending on your location, it might be best to special order a tank at your LFS, due to the shipping cost. I think I paid around $350 for my 125G.

Soo I am probably looking around 200 for a 80 to 100 gallon tank...and as far as a filter I'm gunna need a wet dry I'm guesing wich will run for how much?

You really don't need a filter, if you have 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon. That will provide enough biofiltration. I do a mixture of base rock (i purchased from marcorocks.com) and either cured (if the tank is cycled) or uncured (if I am cycling the tank), to save money.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Starting a SW tank is not cheap, but it does not have to break the bank either. the set-up and cycling process take time so that works to your advantage. For a modest FOWLR tank, expect to put down $700-$1200. For a reef, bump it up to well over $1000. The "nickle and dime" items that you do not anticipate can add up fast. Mel offered a great link to getting started. Feel free to check out some other info in the "Articles" section at the top of the page for other great tips. Welcome and keep the questions coming.

Back
Top Bottom