Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

1st post!

hey to everyone!

Well lately all my friends have put this nice fish tank into their houses, and it cought my attention again. I used to have a 75 gallon tank when i was a child and i absolutely loved it. once i moved out at 19 my parents got rid of it. now i want to invest in one and get one for my house. i don't no much about the price of the filters tanks stands etc... these days but it wont be a huge problem financially... what do u guys recommend, i am 32 and will have time to take proper care of the tank, and also the main thing the patience for the tank. Thank you for any suggestions you may give. i may go with a 75 gallon or maybe a little bigger

Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Here is a great list of Articles to get you started.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My recomendation is to do a lot of research and then research it again. The better informed you are of this hobby from the beginning the better you will do with it. Spend a lot of time reading posts here and you will learn from others mistakes. There are people on this site that have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share it. Ask lots of questions! AS far as tanks go, I have a 72g bow front and wish it was bigger. If you can afford to get a larger tank to start with, do it! More water = easier to maintain levels. Good luck and welcome!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #4

Dealing with the tank, fish, and all the other diferent levels in which I need to keep in order I can handle that. I had my fair share of problems and always had to fix them alone! Haha... how much does a 70-100 gallon tank go for now a days?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I like to get a lot of my dry goods at drsfosterandsmith.com, depending on your location, it might be best to special order a tank at your LFS, due to the shipping cost. I think I paid around $350 for my 125G.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Soo I am probably looking around 200 for a 80 to 100 gallon tank...and as far as a filter I'm gunna need a wet dry I'm guesing wich will run for how much?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You really don't need a filter, if you have 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon. That will provide enough biofiltration. I do a mixture of base rock (i purchased from marcorocks.com) and either cured (if the tank is cycled) or uncured (if I am cycling the tank), to save money.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Here is a good article for what you will need. It was put together by one of our mods. Welcome to AA

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Starting a SW tank is not cheap, but it does not have to break the bank either. the set-up and cycling process take time so that works to your advantage. For a modest FOWLR tank, expect to put down $700-$1200. For a reef, bump it up to well over $1000. The "nickle and dime" items that you do not anticipate can add up fast. Mel offered a great link to getting started. Feel free to check out some other info in the "Articles" section at the top of the page for other great tips. Welcome and keep the questions coming.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

*looks very confused*

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com