1st salt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfreem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am an ex- African chichlid breeder and will eventually move to a reef...but I am going to start a 55 gal. fish only salt tank first. I just have a couple of quick questions.

1. I'm not going to purchase a wet/dry yet so will start with a over the back powerfilter and was wondering if a undergravel would also be helpful?? If no undergravel is needed should there just be powerheads to provide water movement?

2. After the month or so running without fish....are there any standards for fish population? Besides the obvious....no Lions with Damsels and such?

3. Can a wet/dry be added on the tank at a later date while still running?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. I'm not going to purchase a wet/dry yet so will start with a over the back powerfilter and was wondering if a undergravel would also be helpful?? If no undergravel is needed should there just be powerheads to provide water movement?

Yes powerheads will be beneficial, but the ugf is a no-no for SW. Is this tank going to include LE and LS? If enough of the two are incorporated, there will bo no need for any HOB powerfilter, just a skimmer and the powerheads.

2. After the month or so running without fish....are there any standards for fish population? Besides the obvious....no Lions with Damsels and such?

1" of (Adult sized) fish per 5 gallons of tank volume.

3. Can a wet/dry be added on the tank at a later date while still running?

Yep, easily, but as noted if using enough LR and LS, it won't be necessary except maybe as a sump.

Back
Top Bottom