Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice I ordered dimmable 16" LED light fixture. Now what size power head and is it better to use one or to use more than one.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd use two hydor 750s One on each back corner aimed at the front center the flows will collide and give a nice random flows through the tank

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Equipment Needed

What I wish I had known when I started is that you need two heaters and powerheads--one for the tank and one for mixing the saltwater. Just something you might want to consider.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #14

Thanks I had a heater in my saltwater mix but not the power head but I had to 450 and I just bought 750 that Grizz suggested. Still building the stand for the tank.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #15

I received the 16" LED what would be the maximum height does it need to be above the water and what would be the minimum that it can be. I'm wanting to build a canopy to house it leave the top open for the fans, or is there an easier way of mounting it above the thank
Old 10-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think my led panel is about 10 inches from the water and I bought expensive stupid "arms" that come off the back of the tank and hang over to the center of the water. You can get something similar from home depot, plant hangers. Or a type of metal sheperds hook. Just mount it to the back of your stand and voila. Or you can use bookshelf brackets as well, mount them to the wall and hang from there.

Keep in mind the higher up you hang the light the more "spread" you will have over the sides of the tank as well as reducing the amount of light received by the tank. I think with the short depth of the tank though that you will be safe at most any height, just dont hang them real low over the water. lol

Hope that helped a bit.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

And to add more to your plate, if you plan on having multiple fish, a QT tank is a must..... you can roll the dice putting fish in, but if you bring in ich or another disease, marine fish are a lot more expensive to lose than FW..... you should QT your fish for at least a month prior to placement into your main tank. IMO, a small tank like a 20 long with a small heater and basic HOB filter is all you need, but another added expense to consider.

On another note, you mentioned using RO water for your FW tank.... are you blending it or using pure RO? RO membranes remove most of the buffers from the water, so using pure RO for FW can cause a pH crash.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #18

I finally finished stand and hood for my 40 gallon breeder tank 40 lbs. of live sand, 20 lbs. live rock another 25 lbs. of dry live rock, 2 Koralia 850 gph, penguin 350 power filter, 16" dimmable taotronics led lighting. Rocks been in the tubs for a couple months.
Got the tank setup filled tank with saltwater from the tubs after a week to my water sample to the lfs everything was good. bought my first fish clown and we will see how it goes and see where it takes me again not in no hurry. how can I add a photo
Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

here is picture of stand and tank and the lonely clown fish

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture63766.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture63768.jpg

Tags
ate, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com