Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

1st salt water tank

I'm new here I'm starting a 40 gallon breeder reef tank, I'm wanting this to be a slow process. To achieve a basic reef starter tank that I can learn from. what is the no frills tank equipment that I can build on over time. Type filter, led lighting, skimmer and what would I need and not need, that I could improve on over a year or too. I want this to be a enjoyable learning experience not a stressful experience. Just seems everything is so overwhelming and know that it can't be that hard if you do it slow and build on it

Thanks

Rob
Indianapolis In

Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi and welcome to aa. I now own a 25 gallon reef tank. I started off with a basic light and a hang on the back filter for my fish. I didn't have coral then cause as you may know your tank has to be at least a couple months old in order to hold corals. I'd say that you wouldn't need a protein skimmer unless you want to deal with the more complex hard corals. Not a single one of my corals died and I don't own a skimmer. So after a while I upgraded to a power head and a light strong enough for corals. I only have soft corals. If you don't have a skimmer than your gonna do simple water changes a couple times a month. I had all this success by slowly building onto my tank. I recommend you only own soft corals as they are more forgiving to a beginner than hard corals. For corals your gonna need 1 lb. of live rock per gallon. This is a very rewarding experience but it'll be trial and error too. Good luck

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks Datreeferman for the advice just the direction I was looking for. right now I have 20 lbs. of live rock in a tub of saltwater with lights and some dry rock with it, and another 20 lbs. of dry live rock soaking in saltwater until I buy or build a stand for the tank and get it set up.
What size, type, or make of hang on the back filter do you use. How much and what type sand do you use. The way you started your tank and progressing is how I hope to progress. Hope to have a lot of questions as I progress in this hobby

thanks again
Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

We'll I'm happy to help I used a aqueon hang on the back filter about ten to twenty more gallons per hour than it said on the box. EX: I have a 25 gallon tank and I bought a 50 gallon filter. Or you can use one 20 gallon filter and one 30 gallon filter. That's what I did. Now for the corals I kept the thirty gallon filter and use a 500 GPS powerhead witch is much cheaper than a protein skimmer and a powerhead. I also use a 2-3 inch live sand bed which is very good for all the organisms in the tank.owning a saltwater tank is much easier to own than most other people say it is.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would buy lights that can support SPS corals now the dimmable taotronics on ebay will set you back around $150 Also invest in a RO/DI unit, these two things will save you money and headaches later.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Thanks I bought a RO/DI a few weeks ago thru a group buy from Bulk Reef Supply I use the RO for my freshwater tank. I was looking at those lights but a little confused on which and what size would best fit a 40 gallon breeder tank. Is it better to cover the top of the tank or leave it open I appreciate all the help I can get.
Rob
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Definitely leave the top closed. There are many fish that like to jump. Also your water evaporates faster if you leave it open. Your tank will also be more susceptible to airborne toxins so leaving it close is the way to go.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Leaving a tank cloed lid will also affect the ph unfortunatley. Unless you have fish that like to jump I would very much advise to go open top. You8 can also get the clear netting from bulk reef supply and make a screened top for just a few bucks which solves both issues.

You want the open top to keep the gas exchange going properly, if not you can run with low ph which is not a great idea if it can be avoided. I recently made screened lids for my 125g and it cost me about $40 total with brs netting and screen frames from Lowes.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a closed lid fir my reef aquarium and it works for me.it dosnt affect my ph. But thats just 4 me,it has small holes for inserting heaters, filters, etc. I also think its more attractive,neting is a good idea too. But thats jist my opinion.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This light covers about 30x30 inch area and will let you grow almost any coral. Screened lids are the way to go IMO.
16" 120W Dimmable LED Aquarium Light Fixture | eBay

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com