1st saltwater ideas on equip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glasstapper

Aquarium Advice Freak
well I'm generally a SA FW guy, but ive got a 75 in the garage i been toyin with settin up SW,,,,, I'm not cheatin or anything am i?,, anyway,I think ii like the reef idea so id like some input on lighting, filter set ups that wont break the bank TIA

I can tell you, in my experience, if you have the time to wait; order your parts online. Everything I have bought at my LFS, I have since found online cheaper. I want to support them, but I bought an Eheim 2215 filter from them for 157.00 and I found it online for 135.00, my Ebo Jager 250 watt heater LFS: 38.00, Online: 18.99.

HTH

Do some research on what you want and what its going to take to get there. Lighting a 75 gallon reef tank properly will probibly run you close to 600 dollars. And thats just the Lights!

so it all depends on how big your bank is I guess. :|

It is an awsome and totally addictive hobbie so BE CAREFUL!

LOL :lol:

yeah rocket thats true,,,,,have 3 55's 2 30's 3 20's addictive is an understatement
AIR tks for the advise, lighting i m not really sure about, i'm not one to go with the high tech just cause it's expensive must be better crowd i may look into the wattage needed and diy from the depot thanks for all the info you salties are cool too :lol:

. . . and research, research, research before you buy! Two really helpful books:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
by Robert M. Fenner

The New Marine Aquarium
by Michael S. Paletta

Both of these helped me get a good overview of the hobby and narrow my choices. Have fun!

,,,,,have 3 55's 2 30's 3 20's
Hey Doc. this sounds like a clasic case of mts.
lighting will be the most expensive part. For filtration, build a sump ,and add lr and a dsb to the tank.
good luck.

consider your power bill too. You will be running MH Lights 8-10 hours a day.

3 or 4 Power heads pumping around 800 gallons per hour 24/7.

a skimmer running 24/7.

a return pump for your sump running 24/7

a good sized heater.

possibly a UV sterilizer.

not cheap on the electric bill thats for sure!

i know i know but,,but i can't stop!!! have tank have room must have FISH :lol:
not cheap on the electric bill thats for sure!
i guess im wondering about all that gear rocket!? is there such a thing as tank heater lites and pumping sys. ? one of the attractions to FW i guess. SW fish are extremely inviting however, see,,,, it's the however that gets ya!

I hear of a lot of people starting with a FOWLR, that way they don't have to buy all the lights at once. Then start buying corals when they can afford to upgrade lights.

I don't have a tank yet (still in the planning phase), but I think that is the route I will take.

Thats what I am doing. I am going with a FOWLR for now, but I am purchasing fish and equipment with the Reef Idea in mind.

Before you go and purchase anything, You should take a look into the future and decide what you plan on keeping in your tank. Buying from the web is cheaper but watch the S&H charge it can wind up being more expensive. If you plan on keeping acropora's and clams I would suggest you start with at least 2 - 250 watt MH and either PC or VHO lighting. The sump with either a refugium combo or refugium sperate and deep sand bed works well. Does your tank have a built in overflow if not consider getting it drilled and install an in tank overflow rather then a hang on overflow. Also in keeping a Reef tank there is nothing cheap, that only winds up costing more in the long run. As Rocket said research, research and more research it can only help.

Back
Top Bottom