Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to glasstapper
1st saltwater ideas on equip?

well I'm generally a SA FW guy, but ive got a 75 in the garage i been toyin with settin up SW,,,,, I'm not cheatin or anything am i?,, anyway,I think ii like the reef idea so id like some input on lighting, filter set ups that wont break the bank TIA

Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can tell you, in my experience, if you have the time to wait; order your parts online. Everything I have bought at my LFS, I have since found online cheaper. I want to support them, but I bought an Eheim 2215 filter from them for 157.00 and I found it online for 135.00, my Ebo Jager 250 watt heater LFS: 38.00, Online: 18.99.

HTH

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Do some research on what you want and what its going to take to get there. Lighting a 75 gallon reef tank properly will probibly run you close to 600 dollars. And thats just the Lights!

so it all depends on how big your bank is I guess. :|

It is an awsome and totally addictive hobbie so BE CAREFUL!

LOL
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah rocket thats true,,,,,have 3 55's 2 30's 3 20's addictive is an understatement
AIR tks for the advise, lighting i m not really sure about, i'm not one to go with the high tech just cause it's expensive must be better crowd i may look into the wattage needed and diy from the depot thanks for all the info you salties are cool too
Old 09-08-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

. . . and research, research, research before you buy! Two really helpful books:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
by Robert M. Fenner

The New Marine Aquarium
by Michael S. Paletta

Both of these helped me get a good overview of the hobby and narrow my choices. Have fun!
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
,,,,,have 3 55's 2 30's 3 20's
Hey Doc. this sounds like a clasic case of mts.
lighting will be the most expensive part. For filtration, build a sump ,and add lr and a dsb to the tank.
good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

consider your power bill too. You will be running MH Lights 8-10 hours a day.

3 or 4 Power heads pumping around 800 gallons per hour 24/7.

a skimmer running 24/7.

a return pump for your sump running 24/7

a good sized heater.

possibly a UV sterilizer.

not cheap on the electric bill thats for sure!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i know i know but,,but i can't stop!!! have tank have room must have FISH
Quote:
not cheap on the electric bill thats for sure!
i guess im wondering about all that gear rocket!? is there such a thing as tank heater lites and pumping sys. ? one of the attractions to FW i guess. SW fish are extremely inviting however, see,,,, it's the however that gets ya!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

heater Lites? pumping sys.?

Not to sure what you mean by this...

Old 09-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #10

I hear of a lot of people starting with a FOWLR, that way they don't have to buy all the lights at once. Then start buying corals when they can afford to upgrade lights.

I don't have a tank yet (still in the planning phase), but I think that is the route I will take.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com