Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

1st time here, 2nd shot at setting up tank

Hello all. I found this forum and am hoping that I can set my tank up the right way this time. I have a limited budget for this so here we go.

So I have a 50 gallon Hex, I have emptied it and bleached it along with the other components (filters, pumps, hoses...). First I want to paint 2 to 3 sides. Black or Blue? What type of paint?

Parts list...I have a Sealife Systems Premier Series Wet/Dry, CAP-1800 pump, VISI-THERM 250 W water heater, Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 600, 2-Perfecto Mfg. Light fixtures model # 45/60 hex PFH-F, 1-all glass aquarium 15w lamp & 1- zoo med f15t8/actinic 420 coral sun lamp.

WATER- I live near the ocean (south florida, east coast) Whats the best way to start my salt water tank? Salt and tap, salt and filtered or catch the high tide when it comes in?

After this I'm getting about 40lbs of sand and 25 to 30 lbs of live rock, then cycle. Is there anything I'm missing? I do have a friend giving me a protein skimmer as well. I would like to know if there is anything else needed. I plan on just having a fish only tank as I've heard it will be hard to keep coral with the type of tank I have. I had this up and running a couple years ago but was not able to keep anything that I bought alive for more than 3 months.

Any help or suggestions would be apprciated.

Thanks, Brian

Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to mellawson
Welcome!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m going to move this to the SW getting started forum. More people will see it there. This is the welcome wagon here.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsutton29 View Post
Hello all. I found this forum and am hoping that I can set my tank up the right way this time. I have a limited budget for this so here we go.

So I have a 50 gallon Hex, I have emptied it and bleached it along with the other components (filters, pumps, hoses...). First I want to paint 2 to 3 sides. Black or Blue? What type of paint?
Blue or black - personal preference. I like black. use acrylic paint from the hobby store

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsutton29 View Post
WATER- I live near the ocean (south florida, east coast) Whats the best way to start my salt water tank? Salt and tap, salt and filtered or catch the high tide when it comes in?
RO/DI and salt. the water near the coast has way too much polution from run off.

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com